Add Product

Search Results:

Trusted Member

Re: GCU is being discontinued?

When the program first started it was geared towards ALL gamers. Then after the revamp and the elimination of the AtGamer magazine and the coupons in it that worked on older games and those ON SALE it became more skewed towards day one or closer to MSRP game buyers.

Even their stock of lower priced/clearance games disappeared or was much less than in previous gens where I found Playstation 2 titles for a few dollars each during a gaming purge in the early 2000's. I certainly won't miss the program myself as the only time I shopped at BB now was when they gave out those free reward certificates once or twice a year.

I would have shopped with them on Black Friday if they didn't block the 20% discount we PAY for from working on sale ad items that day. But I guess they figured the BF/CM sale ad prices were a good enough price for the masses.

No reason to shop at Best Buy anymore

With the recent news of GCU being discontinued, I have no reason to ever shop at Best Buy again. Not for video games, electronics, or anything else.

I will buy all of my electronics, video games, and anything I would have gotten at Best Buy from other places. Very bad decision from the clueless executives.

I know for a fact I'm not the only one that will never shop at Best Buy again if this is true.

Best Buy is a joke.

With Gamestop and Amazon havinbg picked up their game (zing), they had better have a smart replacement in mind.

Time to shop at Amazon/Gamestop!

I saw other topics but I want to make sure the message becomes clear.

I went into my store to renew because Best Buy Customer Support lied and told me that you can only renew now in store. The sku wouldn't work and no one, the store manager or department leads, knew about GCU ending.

This is a BAD move and will lose Best Buy customers. Since GC was introduced, I've been Best Buy Elite. Having Gamer's Club has saved me money but has also given me tons in gift certificates which I use to buy more games or other merchandise which I normally wouldn't. I've bought two new laptops, two 4k tvs, an arlo, a 4k blu ray player, PC accessories among other things.

Now, I'm going to make it a point to shop elsewhere. Amazon and/or Gamestop but not Best Buy. Die a slow, painful, Circuit City-style death.

Re: Elite Pro Member Done with Best Buy because GCU was discontinued

Me three

I dont get it, i feel like if they charged alittle more for GCU, people would still pay because the deal was good. Apparently that doesnt work either..

Trusted Member

@TonyT1 wrote:

I dont get it, i feel like if they charged alittle more for GCU, people would still pay because the deal was good. Apparently that doesnt work either..

As a member since it was a FREE add-on to your rewards membership I laughed when they 'revamped' it and tried charging $100 for two years. As a more frugal gamer I was OK with $15 a year with the added coupons and a PHYSICAL magazine they would mail you every month. Then they went digital ONLY with the magazine with NO option for a physical edition, which even Gamestop still distributes. Then they nuked the magazine AND the coupons completely and raised the price to $100. 

Even the two year subscription was a bit much for my liking as I liked to see if the program paid for itself each year. If not for getting the last two years as part of a cell phone promotion where I bought a $5 flip phone I doubt I would've resubscribed myself since I'm not an MSRP game buyer. 

I remember their previous programs and i feel like they really hit home with this one. If they were losing out on too much money, i feel like an increase to 40 or 50 dollars would still be reasonable to alot of people. Maybe make it a yearly membership or something. I can think of quite a few options, that dont involve dumping the entire program and losing a whole bunch of customers.

Re: Elite Pro Member Done with Best Buy because GCU was discontinued

lol