Add Product

Search Results:

Re: Gamers Club Unlocked being discontinued

They've turned into a dishonest, desperate company doing anything to stay afloat. Again I followed the terms & conditions, as I've done since gamers club launched in 2013, only to be treated like I don't exist. My business will go elsewhere. Shady tactics on their part.

What a huge disappointment.  I had already been on the fence about continuing to buy physical games from Best Buy after they downgraded their shipping materials to these cheap cardboard sleeves that didn't provide any protection from the cases getting smashed and shattered during transit (which did indeed happen numerous times)... And now without the benefit of an extra discount on prices, there's absolutely no reason for me to continue purchasing games from Best Buy.  Add me to the list of people who will be getting their games elsewhere from now on.  I have always been and absolutely will continue to be committed to buying physical copies of games over intangible digital files, but I guess I'll be taking that business to Target or Gamestop instead.

Not to mention, how cowardly of them to not make any sort of announcement to Gamers Club subscribers that their subscription would abruptly become null & void.  I had come to the site looking to buy a game, wasn't seeing my discount reflected, and was searching all over for answers, before finally having to dive all the way into the community forums to be able to find an explanation for why every bit of info about the Gamers Club had been wiped from every other page of their site.  Not a single word from Best Buy themselves that they had ended the program?  I imagine they also don't plan on offering any sort of refund to people who purchased a multi-year subscription that they are barely into.  Thankfully mine was going to be expiring in August so I'm only getting screwed out of a couple months.

Highlighted
Trusted Member

You are mistaken. No one's accounts have ended. You finish out the membership you bought. If you aren't getting any discounts you have another issue.

Yes the issue is best buy wrongfully, unjustly deactivating peoples accounts.

They ended a lot of accounts, including mine.

They not only cancelled the GCU, they also cleaned up everything, points, older purchases, elite plus status. All gone. I can't even see receipts of household items, or computer stuff I bought from them.

I was (slightly) lucky, since I recently used most of my banked points (still some was gone). People seem to have lost hundreds of dollars worth of points.

It was really bad customer experience on their end.

Trusted Member

Either a system glitch or people's expired and they weren't aware. Still works here and for several others I know.

It's beyond bad customer service. It's fraudulent and illegal.
Trusted Member

Bad CS maybe, nothing illegal or fraudulent here just people whining.

http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Gamers-Club/Gamers-Club-Unlocked-being-discontinued/m-p/1138597#M32725

Q) I heard you are canceling Gamers Club Unlocked. Is this true?

A. Yes, but current members will continue to receive their benefits until their membership expires.

Michael your not understanding. My whole account was deactivated because they said I violated the terms and conditions. They said because I bought 3 copies of tekken 7 for xbox one and 3 copies for ps4, back in January, I violated gamers clubs terms. I've been a gamers club member from day one and the terms were always limit 3 copies per title, per platform, per year, per member. It never changed. As of this past Monday they decided to make up their own terms and deactivate my account, gamers club and otherwise. It's fraudulent and illegal.

MichaelG, it is not at all a system glitch. Have spoken with numerous reps about the issue and there was a decision made to close accounts en masse; people didn't just lose GC but their Elite status, purchase histories, etc. I learned about this while trying to check out at my local store, the clerk absolutely insisted that I don't have a BB account and never did.

This action was taken because there was actually a fairly large group of people who were abusing the fact that the GC program was entirely based on the "honor system" (limits were not actually enforced by the system, people were just expected to follow the rules). This led to many scenarios where an otherwise rule-abiding customer could accidentally violate policy while making a perfectly normal and reasonable purchase. Worse, they won't even discuss the matter with anyone other than to say "Feel free to sign up for a new membership but they not to break the rules again."

Screw that. Either BB can come up with a sensible response to our plight or they can forget getting our business altogether.