Add Product

Search Results:

mduncan
Accepted Solution

XBox 360 Kinect; 4GB vs 250GB

I'm hoping to purchase this today for my child for Christmas, but I need help!  I have no clue if I should get the 4Gb or the 250GB.  Can someone please help me decide which one I need?

Thank you so much!!!!

Please use plain text.
Kyle-BBY
Topics: 123
Kudos: 98
Blog Posts: 141
Solutions: 145

Re: XBox 360 Kinect; 4GB vs 250GB

Hey mduncan,

I know it can be a tough decision on which hard drive size to go for with the Xbox 360, especially with such a gap in the range.  If you think your child will mainly just be playing games off the disc, you could probably go for the 4GB version because you really only have to worry about game save space.  You can also upgrade to a larger hard drive at some point but transferring data from your old one can be a bit of a task and requires a special cable to be done properly from what I understand.

Having said that though, there are a plethora of reasons you may want to play it safe and opt for the 250GB version.  Things like downloadable content, game demos, themes, etc. all take up a hefty amount of hard drive space (some game demos can take up 2GB in themselves).  That's not to mention any multimedia files your child may want to store on their system such as music, pictures, and videos, which add up fast in terms of GB.  Personally, I find game demos to be an excellent way to try out a game before making the decision to buy it so that could even save you some money in the long run.

I hope that helps with the decision making process!

Please use plain text.
Peein-Elmo

I would strongly suggest going with the 250GB version. On average the size of a game is 5GB which means you can't even install games on it. The advantage of installing games is the disc does not constantly spin which the game is being played (only on start up) which means the discs will scratch less and the XBOX will make very little noise. The drive spinning the entire time can be somewhat annoying.

If price is an issue at the moment you can always add the 250GB hard drive at a later time. It's very easy to do and requires no tools to install. If you opt for the 4GB console now and decide to just add the drive later, I would suggest adding a 8GB or 16GB USB flash drive for extra storage for the time being.

Please use plain text.
mduncan

Thank you SO much for the information!

I really appreciate it!

Please use plain text.
mduncan

Thanks!

You both have been SO helpful!

Please use plain text.
meatman1476

I recently bought the kinect bundle 4gb because it was a great deal and I also received a $60 giftcard for the store i bought it at. I used the giftcard towards the purchase of the 250gb hard drive. I bought the 250gb hard drive and the transfer cable about two weeks after I bought the system. I didn't even have to use the cable to transfer any of my data. I'd say get the kinect bundle and if you need to at some point in the future buy the 250gb hard drive for it. it was very easy to install and I have plenty of open space on it.

Please use plain text.