Add Product

Search Results:

kooch

Why won't my N64 work with my new HDTV?

I recently purchased a brand new Sony LCD HDTV and I am currently trying to connect my Nintendo 64 to it. I have tried using both the RCA plugs as well as the RF Cable convertor neither of them are picking up any sort of signal. Has anybody run into a similar problem?

Just so you guys know how desperate I am, I actually work in Home Theater at Best Buy store #224 and so I work with TV's all the time and I am completely baffled by this one. (and yes I have already tried unplugging and pluging everything in 3 or 4 times and yes i have switched the inputs on the TV several times) Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Dorothy-BBY
Topics: 123
Kudos: 59
Blog Posts: 8
Solutions: 279

Re: Why won't my N64 work with my new HDTV?

Welcome to the forums!

It must be incredibly frustrating to work with Home Theater equipment all day then not be able to connect a video game system you more than likely have had for years!  How I long for the days of n64; Gauntlet was my love for quite awhile!

A few questions, because this also baffles me.  Have you tried to connect using the S-video connection?  What size is your new television?  I did a little digging and it appears that once you do hook this up, it might not give you the picture you desire.  In fact, it was mentioned that unless your television has 8ms or less refresh rate, you might experience significant lag, simply due to the way HDTV's function.  You might also get a very blurry, pixelated picture depending on size of television. 

Let me know the specifics and I will try to be of more assistance!

Thanks!

Dorothy

Community Connector

Best Buy® Corporate

Dorothy|Community Supervisor | Best Buy® Corporate
Please use plain text.
kooch

I have not tried the S-video connection (mainly because I didn't want to buy the cable unless I was for sure nothing else would work)

As far as the TV goes, it is a 32" Sony Model#:KDL-32L4000 which is only a 720p and unfortunately I was unable to determine the refresh rate. And to be quite honest, you don't really play the N64 for the graphics anyways so even if it lags a bit and is a tad blurry, I don't think I would really mind. I just want to play some good old Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros! Thanks for the quick response by the way!

Please use plain text.
Dorothy-BBY
Topics: 123
Kudos: 59
Blog Posts: 8
Solutions: 279

BLUE WARRIOR NEEDS FOOD BADLY!!!  See, now I cannot stop thinking about Gauntlet! 

Those were only some suggestions I had.  Definitely not definitive, but I did an online search with your parameters and that was the type of responses I found.   My first impulse is that your cables are bad, but it seems that you might have had the n64 hooked up to another television.  Is this the case?  By the way, thats a nice television!  Are you enjoying it?

I am going to be honest and say that unless it is the cables or that you possibly have not deciphered the correct input to have the television on, then I have no idea.  Is there anyone else out there who has experience hooking up an n64 to a HDTV that can help us out??

Ohhh Super Smash Brothers.... the memories!!

Dorothy

Community Connector

Best Buy® Corporate

Dorothy|Community Supervisor | Best Buy® Corporate
Please use plain text.
Recognized Member
Jason-GS

I am so glad someone has brought up the N64, as well as Gauntlet!  Those are some great memories.  Even though I have the Wii now, there are some emotional attachments that can never be replaced.

Aaaaaah, sustenance!

Agent Jason

Geek Squad® Community Connector

Go Ahead.  Use Us.

Please use plain text.
Recognized Member
u_hsen

heyyyyy i'd say super smash brothers all the way. unfortunately i can not be of any help with this topic.

all i can say when i got my frist HDTV, it was a sony 52 inch projection tv. it worked fine with my n64. so did all my other friends. i'd say some how cables went bad or your n64 went bad by the time u got ur hdtv (talking about coincidences).

have you tried plugging your n64 to an older tv or your friends hdtv? try that first.

Please use plain text.
chopsueyman

I actually just bought an N64, Super Smash Bro's, Mario Kart, and my tv all in the same day! I ended up buying the 32" LED 1080p tv with the model number NS-32E570A11, we hooked up the N64, and the audio is fine, the video only works on one input, but only shows up in black and white! We can't get it to show up in color at all..we also tried hooking up a super nintendo/nintendo and the sound came through again, but the video wouldn't even work! Is there no adaptor to turn the red/white/yellow  a-v cords from these two machines into the audio/video cables needed for the TV?

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Entropy

SSB brings back so many college memories.  Back in college, I had an old 480p Sharp LCD projector.  We hooked up my apartmentmate's N64 to it and pointed it at the wall.

All of us and the people in the apartment across the hall were in the school's marching band.  Mostly trombones on our side, saxes on the other.  The saxes hosted a party one night, and nearly all of the guests came into our place instead.  (Door was open and we had a full-on Super Smash tournament projected onto our apartment's large white wall.)  We even had a visiting band come to party, they had apparrently been doing hallucinogenic drugs on the bus and we nearly made their heads explode.  :smileyhappy:

Beyond that, sorry, can't help.  :smileysad:

------------------
*disclaimer* I am not now, nor have I ever been, an employee of Best Buy, Geek Squad, nor of any of their affiliate, parent, or subsidiary companies.
Please use plain text.
RedWyv3
Topics: 292
Kudos: 178
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 80

Silly question, but only because it sounds like you're hooking into the wrong colors..

Did you hook white to white, red to red, and yellow to yellow?

I don't mean to insult or anything, I have done the same thing, but can you double check to make sure the colors match? There is another set of jacks back there that HAVE a yellow jack, but the other two are blue and green.. and that's not the same thing. The cord would fit, see.. and putting them on a big TV can cause one not to see the colors, especially in dim light.

s.gifI am a Bestbuy employee who volunteers on these boards on my own time. I am not paid for posting here, and you should understand that my opinions are exactly that - opinions. I do not represent Bestbuy in any way.
: Open Mailbox
Please use plain text.
chopsueyman

Well the thing was was that there aren't red yellow and white hookups on my tv, it has component ones which are blue, green, and some other color..I did end up solving the problem though, even though it cost me $70! I bought an RF Modulator, so I could plug the red yellow and white cables from my super nintendo and nintendo 64 into that, and then ran a tv cable from the modulator to the tv..it ran fine, although with plenty of lag, but that was fixable by changing the video settings on the tv! Thanks for the help though everyone!

Please use plain text.