Add Product

Search Results:

it's down to two computers

I recently purchased the dell 15.6 touch screen 8gb 1tb computer and I am debating taking it back for the HP 15.6 touch screen 6gb 1tb computer.
I need the computer to last me at least 4 years and have a quick processor. I'm using it mainly for school and I'm not sure which computer will be more reliable and last me longer. I need your opinions and help!
Thank you.
Trusted Contributor

Re: it's down to two computers

Would really need more details on model number and other specifics to tell you what would be faster.

However, I would keep the Dell. I have had 2 Dell Laptops and my wife still uses the newer one.(one is 8 years old and the other is 6

When you say quick processor that is a variable point however.

Most basic laptops will run quick enough for word processing, access, web, and basic computer games.

A gaming computer as they are would be faster systems more geared towards gaming.

An important thing to help keep your new laptop runnig quickly is to periodically run maintenance such as defrad, disk check etc.

Also, purger your browsers once a month or more.

Howver, HP makes great computes as well. I bought one for my dad a few years ago and is used it every day for 5 years.

Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query. I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own.
Topics: 1,002
Kudos: 652
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 243

Make sure you get a laptop with a real hard drive and not one that has flash memory (eMMC) This is very important going forward should the hard drive fail, you can easily put in a new HDD and restore from the recovery.

I have an HP Stream 11.6 and love its portability and quickness on the web but a drawback is the non upgradeable storage internally and a battey thats integrated into the unit (not changable without sending it into HP for replacement)

However I was impressed by this HP model however

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-pavilion-x2-10-1-tablet-64gb-with-keyboard-blizzard-white/4476500.p?i...

Its a laptop and a tablet in one and looks to be a nice piece of hardware for the price that you can interchange between formats back and forth. I would assume you can interface with HDMI if you need a bigger screen to work with

***Please keep in mind that I am not employed by Best Buy and are just a regular forums Super User and an everyday shopper like you. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you to speed up the answer queue for other customers***

I will absolutely recommend Dell, even though I'm a big fan of Mac Book Pro but to take care of your budget and get good materiel that will last longer go for Dell, I personally bought my Dell Inspiron 1564 in 2010 and this monster is still running, I drop it many times, use gourmand software and programs but still running with no problems. Hope this will help.

You Buy Easily Store vs Amazon Friendly Store

Don't buy the Dell if you want something that will last, Best Buy doesn't repair Dell it has to be sent to Dell. I sent my Allienware (Dell) in for repair 6 weeks ago still no word as to when I might get it back. HP is good
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I would argue the Dell thing.  My company uses Dell computers. Hundreds of them.

The computer at my workstation is the 4th I have had since 2001. Now to be fair on one incarnation they added ram and a faster GPU

The only issues I have had was the  Z key gave out on my keyboard last month and the Dell optical mouse I had been using for 10 years finally gave out.  And if window still had the utility that tracked mouse clicks I be I am very close to 937122

My second and third laptops at home were Dell (I get an employee discount). My 2nd Dell Laptop is now 6 years old and still goes well.  I do expect the motherboard battery to give out eventually but it has not yet.

Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query. I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own.