Add Product

Search Results:

i brought a new desktop computer but I can't connect to my monitor by using either DVI or VGA CABLE.

The computer is ibuypower. When I received it, it was all set up. I thought there was nothing wrong with the computer. However, when I tried to connect it to my monitor, the monitor showed there is no signal. I can hear the running sound of computer and it worked well and even de keyboard was lighting. My monitor was brought 2 years ago. Maybe it is too old to connect to my computer? My graph card is gtx 1060. And can someone tell me if I need to buy a new monitor or it is the problem of my new computer.
Trusted Contributor

Re: i brought a new desktop computer but I can't connect to my monitor by using either DVI or VGA CA

Ugg that sounds frustrating. 

A 2 year old monitor should not be the issue.

Do you have a different computer (or a friends computer) you can connect tthe monitor to?  This will help rule out that there is nothing wrong with the monitor.

Or do you have a friend that can bring over a monitor that they know is working

If the monitor does not work on a different computer then it is either your monitor or cables.  However, it appears you tried it with both DVI and VGA cable so I would not think it is the cable.

If the monitor does work on a different computer then it just may be a setting. 

Look at your keyboard. Do you have any icons on or around the F keys along the top that look like one monitor overlapping another. Or just a single icon of a monitor.

If the icon is on there as a different color there should also be a FN key on your keyboard somewhere in the same color.  On my computer it is a blue color.

With everything hooked up hold down the FN key and then press the F key with the monitor icon.  Give it about 20 seconds.  If nothing happens Press it again and wait 20 seconds.  Do this about 3 or 4 times.  

If that works it just means that the output was set to a second monitor.

Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query. I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own.

Re: i brought a new desktop computer but I can't connect to my monitor by using either DVI or VGA CA

Thanks for answering my question. But I tried and monitor is good. The monitor icon doesn't work. I still don't have any idea.
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

If your within the return period I would bring it back and exchange it.

As the monitor works on other computers with the same cable it is probalby the GPU

See if you can start it in safe mode  Hold down the F8 key while starting.

If you get a boot screen that you can see then it could likely be a setting in error.

If you don't get a boot screen try it again using the VGA output instead of the DVI

Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query. I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own.

Hoping someone can answer this, its my same issue as well. thanks for posting this.