Add Product

Search Results:

What's the best laptop for a research scientist

Hello,

I would love any suggestions for a laptop.  I will be using microsoft excel 2016 (better on the PC than the Mac), SAS-statistical software, Surveymonkey, Word, and Duboce (mixed methods software to mostly code qualitative transcripts).  so, it needs power, battery life and about a 15 inch screen.

Thank you in advance,

Hyjinx

Topics: 13
Kudos: 202
Solutions: 95

Re: What's the best laptop for a research scientist

Hi there, hyjinx!

Science was never my strong-suit in school, so I figured I should stick to what I know best: Technology!  I used to work in our Computing department and still assist with computer sales on a regular basis, so I'd be more than happy to help you narrow down your search for a new laptop.

Based on what you mentioned in your post, it sounds like you'll be doing quite a bit of work at the same time, so battery life, speed, and storage are probably the main factors to consider.  I went ahead and did a quick search for you on BestBuy.com that you can take a look at here.

Some of the main factors I considered in this search were this: I'd definitely recommend getting a laptop that comes with at least an i5 processor, if not an i7, to ensure your computer moves as fast as you do.  I've never worked with Duboce, but I know documents from Excel and similar programs can eat up space quickly, especially if they contain any media.  For that reason, I think it would be smart to consider a laptop with at least 500GB – 1TB of storage. You mentioned you wanted around a 15" screen, so I went ahead and factored that into the search as well.

Go ahead and take a look at the bolded link above and let me know if you have any specific questions that I can answer for you!  Just so you know, you can also select the "Add to Compare" checkboxes next to a few different laptops and our website will show you the differences side-by-side.

Best,

Sam | Best Buy Store Phone Operator

I am a Best Buy Employee at one of our retail stores. While here to help, the opinions presented by me on this site do not represent the views or decisions of Best Buy and its affiliates. Authorized company representatives identified with -BBY after their names are able to address specific concerns or inquiries in greater detail.

Forum Guidelines | Price Match Guarantee | Return & Exchange Promise

Did I answer your question? Mark as SOLVED! | Do you like my post? Give KUDOS!

Re: What's the best laptop for a research scientist...overwhelmed

Hi Sam,

what an overwhelming selection....

can you narrow it down a little for me?

I would like to have a backlit keyboard for sure and a place to connect a flash drive...

What would you recommend for under $999?

Thanks,

Liz

Topics: 13
Kudos: 202
Solutions: 95

Re: What's the best laptop for a research scientist...overwhelmed

Hi Liz,

I'll see what I can do. Smiley Happy  I've added your new parameters to the search and narrowed it down to 24 laptops, which you can view here.  Specifically, here are some of the best ones from the narrowed search I think you should take a look at:

HP - OMEN 15.6" Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 8GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M - 1TB HDD + 128GB SSD ... ($849.99)

Dell - Inspiron 7559 Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 8GB Memory - 1TB+8GB Hybrid Hard Drive - Black ($843.99)

Acer - Spin 3 2-in-1 15.6" Touch-Screen Laptop - Intel Core i5 - 8GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive - Black ($599.99)

Acer - Aspire F 15 15.6" Laptop - Intel Core i5 - 8GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive - Sparkly silver ($599.99)

You'll notice that the bottom two laptops from this list are noticeably less expensive, but quite honestly they have very similar technical specifications and will still get the job done.  I'd also encourage you to take note of if these specific laptops are available for shipping and/or Store Pickup in your area so you can make a more informed decision.

Again, let me know if you have any specific questions about these models and I'll do my best to answer.

Cheers,

Sam | Best Buy Store Phone Operator

I am a Best Buy Employee at one of our retail stores. While here to help, the opinions presented by me on this site do not represent the views or decisions of Best Buy and its affiliates. Authorized company representatives identified with -BBY after their names are able to address specific concerns or inquiries in greater detail.

Forum Guidelines | Price Match Guarantee | Return & Exchange Promise

Did I answer your question? Mark as SOLVED! | Do you like my post? Give KUDOS!