Add Product

Search Results:

Need help picking laptop for my needs!?!?!?!

I need a laptop for photoediting and I want it to ba able to also run games smoothly, maybe not so high demanding games or at ultra settings but still want to play them wth no stuttering. My budget is at 1500$ and I am looking for a 15.6" display and an i7 processor with good Nvidia grafics and 16gb ram. Any recomendations??? I see several options but don't know which is best

Re: Need help picking laptop for my needs!?!?!?!

Is 15" a necessity?  Or would smaller/larger work?

I ask because what's likely to work best for you is Nvidia's GTX 1060 for a video card.

This comes in 13.3" alienware (great choice), 15-17" Asus/MSI, and 17" Acer.

From experience, I'd choose Acer or MSI at 17".  Not only does the extra space allow for better cooling which helps performance (so the computer doesn't downclock when it gets how), but MSI is absolutely outstanding quality.  I've owned several Asus ROG laptops as well as multiple strix components, and have seen their workmanship slip in comparison.  If you NEED 15", there's no choice (other than to buy asus now or wait for msi to come in stock).  If you can manage 17"...MSI all the way.

I was thinking 15" because of the comfortable size/portability. I am definitly thinking of getting something wth a gtx1060 and was leaning towards the ROG GL502 before seeing your reply. As a photographer, photo editing will be my first priority though, so I do need a pretty good looking/color accurate screen, I doubt I'd find 4K at this pricepoint, but a good bright and colorful FHD screen works very well.

Would you recomend me to lean towards 17" in your experience is the bigger size less portable in comparison to the 15"??

Which MSI would you recomend and what build??

With the Alienware, I'm not sure I would want to go smaller screen because of the editing, don't know what are your thoughts.

I get that, the 15" is going to be a little bit more portable than the 17".  For photo editing, the screens all appear to be similar.  I'd prefer glossy over matte, but generally matte is the only offering.

If you're using the 17", I found the best way for carrying that was a proper backpack designed for laptops.  Once it's on your lap/table it honestly doesn't matter if it's only 2" bigger.  

For photo editing, you're also going to want to look at ram and the 12gb in the Asus is cutting it short.  The MSI comes with 16gb which definitely helps (you're not gonna find 32gb at your price point unfortunately).  I ran out of ram doing some photoshop work recently, and with 12gb that would likely happen quite often.

This MSI is a little bit above your price point, but it does hit a note for portability at 15":

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-gs-series-stealth-pro-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-g...

Personally, I'd take the slightly less portable build with the benefit of the added screen space and cooling, since with a proper backpack/case you won't notice a difference:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-17-3-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-1tb-ha...

Hmm I like the 15" MSI, how do you think it compares to the ROG Asus 502s of the same specs?? Not just what's available on BestBuy but as a whole?

It's better than the Asus ROG hands down. From a design and quality standpoint (at the same specs). As far as availability on best buy's rog model, it's even better
Trusted Contributor

As you are aware the quality and ability to adequatly edit photos has more to do with your choice of software than it does your computer.

I used to run a lot of eBay sales on forclosed items. I mean many hundreds of items. I had a small studio set up in my basent to take quality photographs. I used Photoshop for all my processing. I even had it hooke to my camera and would take the pictures and see them instantly on the screen.

The computer I was using only had integrated Intel Graphics, 8 GB of ram and an i3 processor.  It was more than sufficient to handle photos taken at 10 mega pixels.   The only time it would hickup was when I was trying to produce HDR's from RAW photos. Didn't work so good on vidio however,

If you at the computer requirements for both Photoshop and Coreldraw, even if you multiplied them by 4, you would be hard pressed to find a modern computer that weak.

For most of your photo editing you will be able to get buy with the cheapest of the gaming computers.  This is coming from someone who has edited many hundreds of photos for use in resale. 

You should then focus on your gaming aspect. 

That being said, pretty much any of your gaming class laptops should work fine for photo editing.  Becuase they will have good processors, good RAM and a dedicaed GPU

Personally I feel really strongly about MSI Laptops. I am on my third one and they are great.  For photo editing I would encourage you to lean towards a 17" monitor. Especialy if you intend on gaming. Or I would suggest if you want a 15" then get yourself a 23" plus monitor for your desk that you can plug in for photo editing. 

My MSI is 17" and weights in at about 9 pounds. It never really is a hassle to take it anywhere. I have a packpack and a messenger bag for it.  Works great.

Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query. I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own.

This is all generally true, however my i7-4790k @5.1ghz, GTX 1080, 16gb ram still slowed down and had hiccups editing some costumes in Photoshop I was working on recently. I'm sure it depends on how much you're editing at once, since my issues arose when editing (two?) designs.

However, it was more than enough for run of the mill photos, graphic designs for advertisements etc. Obviously it depends on the extent of editing he's going to do. I think the image I was editing was...around 287 megapixels. So it's not uncommon to go well beyond the 10mp mark. With many professional cameras going 30-50mp. I guess I probably should've asked him to clarify what kind of photos he's editing XD.
Trusted Contributor

If your running into issues editing photos with that kind of hardware you may have some other issues going on such as to many background apps going on.  

287 Megapixel image???

Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query. I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own.
Highlighted

No, the computer's running perfectly. Nothing using any resources. I mean, I not only built it and the water-cooling from scratch...I'm also a programmer. You can be sure it's in tip top condition.

Larger files just require a lot more than 10mp files do,which is basically entry level photo editing these days.

That's 287 megapixels for a simple bodysuit design. Vehicle wraps and advertising could be ten times that easily. I've seen images well over 500 megabytes for advertising purposes.

Im just saying, you could very well be underestimating his requirements. Mine are well beyond that for just a part time hobby.

Many Photoshop features struggle even with my hardware when dealing with files of that size. So depending on needs, even a mobile i7 (which is roughly 60% of the performance of my CPU after my overclock) will fall behind. So, I certainly wouldn't call the MSI CPU overkill...but it should be good enough if he isn't doing many advertisements or costumes.