Add Product

Search Results:

Accepted Solution

LG laptops?

Really interested in the LG Gram line of laptops.  Since Best Buy sells a lot of LG products - why no LG laptops?  They have some of the best reviews out there on the web. Reading reviews of HP, Dell, Asus and Lenovo just scare me. So much so that I have been in limbo on a purchase for almost 6 months now.

Apple is fine but the price of a 15 inch Macbook is prohibitive.  Samsung is a product  line I no longer even consider based on a couple of bad experiences ... I have had great luck with LG products so I really wish I could get one of their laptops ...

Trusted Contributor

Re: LG laptops?

The LG Grams do seem to be really highly rated and have a lot of attractive attributes. 

I do not believe any of the moderators on these forums will be able to you release any news or prospective on products that they do not carry at this time or future products until they have an official press release.

Looking into the Gram a little deeper though I would speculate that the Gram is not being carried by Best Buy, or any other physical store,  becuase LG seems to be controlling distribution at this time.  It appears that the Gram is only available from online only retailers (3 of them) at least when I look at it from my physical location.

Personally I purchase quite a few things a year from online only stores. But I don't think I would ever purchase something as important or expnesive as a laptop from Amazon or B&H where I cannot get the service plan that Best Buy offiers.

I would keep checking back to see if BB starts to carry them.

Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query. I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own.

Thanks. That is helpful and makes sense. I too don't like to order items like laptops from online retailers because if you don't like it, it can be a hassle to return it. Best Buy makes it easy.
Topics: 158
Kudos: 172
Blog Posts: 0
Ideas: 54
Solutions: 31

Another viable option as well is to use the IdeaX and to suggest such ideas for the BestBuy marketing team to start terms with LG for distribution through the retail chain.

As bobberuchi mentioned, it seems like the distribution is being controlled directly so I am not sure how much use it iwll do but here is the link to the ideax

http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/IdeaX/idb-p/IdeaX

I may not always know the right answer, but I will always tell you what I do know. I also do free computer analysis and consultation via private message.

Thanks. I followed your suggestion and posted to ideax. Reading some of the other posts here related to laptops. God info. But what surprises me in reading the product reviews is how polarized they are for the same exact product. I get that people have different uses and needs and that can cause a variation. But the people who say they are on their 3rd exchange of a new laptop and it's still not working right scares me. Then I see users who have that same model and rated it 5 stars and had no problems. What gives? Are these bogus reviews? Are people plugging their laptops into outlets with irregular voltage and damaging them? Are people really abusive to their equipment and then blame the product? Or is the QC and manufacturing on laptops really that poor?
Trusted Contributor

I think it is a common practice for developers of products or provider of services (like travel) to pay people to post reviews on their company's behalf. Unfortunately it is not illegal to do so, just immoral.

it is also difficult to prove if a review is authentic or paid for.

We also need to take with a grain of salt people that really trash on a product without giving solid citations of why a product is bad. I have seen many negative reviews on a product but it  you read the whole thing it may be because thier shipment was a day late or they had to wiat a few days to pick it up.  The issue is not even about the product itself.

I have done a lot of looking into the travel industry and I have learned when you see a simply glowing review of a destination with no grammar or spelling errors there is a good chance it may be fake. I try to write travel reviews without these kinds of errors, but I try to be honest.

On another of your points. I think people can be very abusive to their equipment and then blame the product.

Granted there are sometimes issues with new products. 

Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query. I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own.

Yeah I do know what you mean about authentic vs fake reviews. That really hampers the credibility of the review system and it's use as a tool for making better decisions. There is an add on for Chrome called fakespot that I just started using and it works for Amazon pretty well. We need this sort of thing for all websites. Also, I wish there was something that would give us the price history on the Best Buy site. Sale prices really vary at BB and since I have been looking so long for a laptop I have noticed a $1200 laptop might be 300 dollars off during one sale and only $150 next time it's on sale...and interestingly enough the clearance prices are often not as good as the sale prices which is somewhat surprising to me....I will close with that thought since I have gone somewhat off topic. Thanks for the insight!
Trusted Contributor

I agree seeing a price history may be nice. But I think it would cause a lot of problems for Best Buy as well. I have too often observed people who see an Ad price one week and it has an expiration date and they come in the day after and get upset because they cannot get that price. I think a similar situation would arise from a price history. 

Or what could happened in the example of $300 off this week then only $150 off the next week. Then a little while later it is cleared out and no longer available. Then people get mad because they didn't get one.

Yeah I know what you mean. I have virtually never seen a "check stores" button on a clearance item in my zip code where it has ever been available within 250 miles of me per the message received when I check availability. I can only surmise that the item is available at a few stores in small markets somewhere but never in the larger markets where turnover is much higher. But even that has "irked" me because I've never gotten in on one of those great deals. In reality it's a deal that only a very limited number of people will ever be able to benefit from even if you look at the BB site daily and I suspect it's tied to the market you are in rather than luck or diligence.
Trusted Contributor

In 2009 I had made the decision to buy a big HD TV.

I am the type of person how does a lot of research and hands on comparing before I buy electronics that cost a lot of money.

I generated my own list of the best brands and sets.

One of the TV's I had focused on was Pioneer Kuro Plasma.  They had one on display in the front of the TV section at a local BB.  When I walked in I said this is the most amazing TV they have on display.

Unfortunaltly the price was serious sticker shock. 

So I made a bookmark to it and 2 others I had picked out and watched the ads every week. And I got in the habit of checking the bookmarks several times a day.  One day I clicked on the Kuro and it was marked down $2000 from what it had been the day before. I called the BB near my house.  And they had one on display and one in the box. 

I had a stack of gift cards and I purchesed it online right there.

Long story short, for me at least, is to find what I want and keep checking it. The TV I wanted went on clearance.  I got a $3500 TV for $1500.  Still looks great to this day.

Great deals are doable. Sometimes it takes a little luck.