Add Product

Search Results:

ewainstein

Ipad 4 G

I would like to buy an Ipad with 4G. They are usually supplied with Vrizon or AT&T service. Are they unlocked to use overseas. I want to buy data simcards in the UK and Europe and Australia. Will these overseas simcards work on the Ipad bought from Best Buy

Please use plain text.
Recognized Member
pinkzroxor

Re: Ipad 4 G

It depends on whether those countries have carriers that support 4G or not.. I'm sure you can just buy the iPad from US and use it in other countries. you might have to unlock it though..
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
xl

I think I read somewhere that it's unlocked.... however....

• ATT LTE and Verison LTE use different frequencies & chips.  They are not the same.  Be very careful which model you choose.
  • check your data SIM card size.  SIM cards are smaller for Apple products
  • check what frequencies your vacationing SIM card uses, ideally look for retailers who may have a SIM card for you to test before handing your money over.
Please use plain text.
ewainstein

Thank you for this great advise. Excuse me asking but how do you find if it is unlocked. I asked the sales person and they were clueless!!
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
xl

Re: Ipad 4 G => Unlocked

Sorry I am unable to find the source where I read iPads are unlocked this point on Google. I recommend visiting your local International SIM dealers to confirm your expectations for the countries you are visiting.

I do know that Verizon and ATT use different LTE.  It's not a matter of the device being locked, the issue is they are using different LTE frequences and/or chips.  This gets more complicated when you leave the States where there are more cellular standards.

It's not surprising to see retailers challenged by such questions as they haven't personally tried what you want to do.  I've been burned a few times in Asia that I can't give you a definate answer depending on where you are travelling. Discount carriers don't use the same crowded frequencies that major carriers use. It's much more complicated compared to 10 years ago when GSM was universal.  Data is many more standards.

You need to research travel sites for people who have done what you want to do.  Sadly the iPad3 is too new.

If you plan to spend more of your time in the States, buy an iPad from a carrier that fits your needs.  If it works when on vacation.... bonus.  If you are desperate, consider picking up an unlocked mobile hotspot in your visiting.  Best guess, the ATT version may be more universal, but I read somewhere that ATT may not have enabled LTE at the present time.

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
xl

Re: Ipad 4 G => Not Australia

ewainstein wrote:

I would like to buy an Ipad with 4G. They are usually supplied with Vrizon or AT&T service. Are they unlocked to use overseas. I want to buy data simcards in the UK and Europe and Australia. Will these overseas simcards work on the Ipad bought from Best Buy

Check out this article about the iPad LTE in Australia...

http://www.pcmag.com/article/print/295951

As mentioned earlier, the LTE frequencies are different around the world.

Please use plain text.