Add Product

Search Results:

bonpere

How to connect telephone to cable service?

I have purchased a Motorola SB6120 modem and a Netgear WNDR37AV wireless router. The modem does not have a port for a telephone. What piece of equipment do I need to use my telephone as well? If it helps, I have Comcast cable service.

Please use plain text.
Frequent Contributor
asandwhich

Re: How to connect telephone to cable service?

You would plug you phone into the normal wall outlet and make use of the phone service, if you are paying for it. Just because you have cable, doesnt mean you automatically have landline phone service also.
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
NoNoBadDog

I am assuming you have cable phone service and a valid phone number assigned you by the cable company.  You will need either a modem provided by the cable company, or one that is compatible with their serivces.  If you indeed have a cable phone plan, then the modem provided by the cable company will have either 1 or 2 standard phone jacks built in.

If, on the other hand, you have standard telephone service from your telco, you cannot marry it to your cable modem. 

If you find my post useful or informative, please click the icon below with the plus sign and star to give kudos. Thank you!
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Entropy

bonpere wrote:

I have purchased a Motorola SB6120 modem and a Netgear WNDR37AV wireless router. The modem does not have a port for a telephone. What piece of equipment do I need to use my telephone as well? If it helps, I have Comcast cable service.

Do you have a voice (phone) package bundled with your Comcast Internet service?

If not, you need to sign up with a Voice over IP (VoIP) service and purchase a device known as an Analog Telephone Adapter (ATA).  Most VoIP services will provide you an ATA - in fact some (like Vonage) will make it VERY difficult to bring your own device (BYOD).

If you have subscribed to voice service from Comcast, they should have provided you with an ATA or a modem/router with built-in ATA.

------------------
*disclaimer* I am not now, nor have I ever been, an employee of Best Buy, Geek Squad, nor of any of their affiliate, parent, or subsidiary companies.
Please use plain text.
bonpere

I do have phone service bundled with my Internet. I've been using the modem they provided but I since purchased a new one. However, I neglected to get an eMTA device. Short of sending the modem back, I was looking to see what I could do. I should mention that since you responded, I took the information you provided concerning an ATA and talked to Comcast. They told me I could use this option and there should not be a problem. Thanks!

Please use plain text.