Add Product

Search Results:

VanHelsing1942

Has the Asus G71GX-RX05 GPU problem been fixed?

Has the Asus G71GX-RX05 GPU problem been fixed? And if so what do you have to do to fix it.

Please use plain text.
Vendor Participant
Drew-Intel

Re: Has the Asus G71GX-RX05 GPU problem been fixed?

hi vanhelsing.

i know that asus was working on an updated BIOS to fix the GPU issue, and according to the last post in this thread on the asus support forums (http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20090627114124765&board_id=3&model=G71Gx(BestBuy)&SLanguage=e...), rev. 1201 seems to have done the trick.

i checked the asus support website (http://support.asus.com), and i found that there is an even new version of the BIOS - rev. 1302. i would recommend moving to this BIOS upon unboxing your G71GX.

i have updated the BIOS on both notebooks and desktops before, and the process is fairly painless. i found this link off the asus support site (http://support.asus.com/technicaldocuments/technicaldocuments.aspx?root=198&SLanguage=en-us), and it describes how to update the BIOS. i would recommend having a conversation with your local geek squad if you're not comfortable doing the process yourself.

Please use plain text.
VanHelsing1942

Alright so I just download that and all is well?

Please use plain text.
hockeycanuckjc
Topics: 600
Kudos: 349
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 131

In some cases, not all, Bios files come in a zip folder with a readme and steps you need to take in order to update it. Like our Intel vendor participant reccomends, please do not attempt this bios update unless you have a high comfort level of tecnical expertise. Updating the BIOS has the possibility to brick your unit into nothing more then an expensive paperweight. Let the Geek Squad take care of it for you!

*******DISCLAIMER********

I am not an employee of BBY in any shape or form. All information presented in my replies or postings is my own opinion. It is up to you , the end user to determine the ultimate validity of any information presented on these forums.
Please use plain text.
Vendor Participant
Drew-Intel

some vendors offer tools that allow you to flash the BIOS within windows, but it appears that asus prefers a more hand-on approach involving booting from a driver-loaded floppy disk in DOS. needless to say, it's a bit more work than most people (including myself in many instances) are willing to put in.

and, as hockeycanuckjc mentioned, performing the process the wrong way could leave you with a functionless piece of plastic. it definitely makes sense to have it done right, rather that be by yourself or with some help from the geek squad.

Please use plain text.