Add Product

Search Results:

HP Pavilion Slimline 400 series 5ghz Network not showing up 2.4ghz real slow as well any advice?

Hello Everyone

I have an HP Pavilion Slimline 400 Series Desktop Pc, and maybe a year ago the wi-fi started crawling. I contacted my ISP and they told me most likely my wi-fi antenna inside the PC probably has gone bad, and That my PC was so old that it's not suited to recognize the 5ghz network.

So I was wondering is there any accessories I can purchase or possible upgrades I can perform on my PC to get the wi-fi working again at a premium level. Also is there any easy way to replace the PC unit's internal wi-fi adapter?

Thank you for your comments

Recognized Member

Re: HP Pavilion Slimline 400 series 5ghz Network not showing up 2.4ghz real slow as well any advice?

1. WiFi antennas don't go bad, they are literally a wire inside the computer that doesn't move
2. Altho 5ghz WiFi has the potential for faster speeds and less interference it probably is unrelated to your speed decrease
3. Best buy sells USB WiFi adapters, if you want faster WiFi these will do the trick. Make sure the speeds.match your isp WiFi router. No need to buy an AC adapter with an old N WiFi device.

That all.being said Internet that was once fast but now isn't is generally a malware or virus issue on the computer, a failing hard drive, or a computer old enough it just has trouble with HD video (8years plus). Or an Isp problem. None of which are really WiFi related.
Topics: 158
Kudos: 172
Blog Posts: 0
Ideas: 54
Solutions: 31

Re: HP Pavilion Slimline 400 series 5ghz Network not showing up 2.4ghz real slow as well any advice?

I just wanted to post and to support #3 on what the above poster suggested. It can be great to have a wireless adapter and I would suggest this wholeheartedly.

I may not always know the right answer, but I will always tell you what I do know. I also do free computer analysis and consultation via private message.

best

good
Topics: 893
Kudos: 477
Solutions: 193

Even wireless N won't recognize the 5ghz Network in certain circumstances, you'll need Wireless AC to recognize that from the router. I know that many computers out on the market of the budget range won't access the 5ghz network because of the hardware embedded on it.

Those adapters get very expensive starting at a minimum of $29 and go up in price. If you want to continue to enjoy the full speed your ISP has to offer consider buying a Range extender and hardwiring it via the ethernet cable.

***Please keep in mind that I am not employed by Best Buy and are just a regular forums Super User and an everyday shopper like you. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you to speed up the answer queue for other customers***

Your computer is considered "old" based on the release data that HP has for it. I don't think 5ghz was around back then or many devices did not support it at the time but I could be wrong.

***Please keep in mind that I am not employed by Best Buy and are just a regular forums Super User and an everyday shopper like you. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you to speed up the answer queue for other customers***

Well here is an update

My ISP changed the lines coming from outside to in and for a day or two my connection was still intermittent, then the 3rd day it started zooming I actually had  all bars light up on wifi signal bar on the CPU,  I  ran a wifi analyzer and it said 100 percent signal so I thought everything was fixed,come today back to intermittent again My ISP keeps giving the same old troubleshooting steps I get my wifi adapter today, so we will see if that helps if not I guess I have to buy a new rig.

Thank all of you for your help and advice. 

Did everything work out for you?