Add Product

Search Results:

Google Wifi vs eero

Moving into a new home next week which is close to 3300 sq ft.  I figured a mesh system would be more beneficial than a traditional router.  I do not want to spend more than $300 so it's down to the 3 pack of Google Wifi or the 2 pack eero with 1 eero and 1 beacon.

From what I have read, the eero is the better choice, but with google it's a 3 peice set which could trump the eero 2 pack.

Any suggestions?

Re: Google Wifi vs eero

House is a 2 story with finished basement.  So roughly, 1100 sq ft. on each level.  

With Google, I could place 1 on each floor, whereas with the eero, one would be on the main floor and the beacon in the basement, nothing upstairs. If price is identical, would you take the Google 3 pack or eero 2 pack with 1 eero and 1 beacon?

Trusted Contributor

I would say rather just go with a router that can handle it.

I have a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900.  My house is 2400 square feet. 

However, I can stream via wi-fi music while mowing my lawn and never lose the signal. I once walked down the street while streaming and made it  4 houses away. Granted I had to get back on my driveway to get the signal back.

Netgear Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Tri Band. 

For the same price as the two pack of the EEro system you get more speed, tri band, and incredible range.

Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query. I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own.

I just want something that will reach all areas of the house, nothing super fancy.  We will only have a few thing running off of it at a time, a few cell phones, laptop, ipad, and I do have a 4k tv and will stream somethings but not all the time.

With that being said, would something like your AC1900 work just fine for what I am looking for or do you think I do need something a tad stronger?

I apologize, this area is clearly not my specialty.  

Trusted Contributor

the AC1900 should work fine. Not as good the further away you get from the router itself.  But it has good range. 

For your TV if you want to stream any 4K programming you are going to be BEST off runing an ethernet cable to the TV from the router. 

My modem and router are pretty well centered in the house.  At first I tried it with WiFi but the performance was significantly better with Ethernet.  I run Ethernet to my Roku and my TV.

Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query. I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own.
Trusted Contributor

It would also be good to question how old is the house your moving into.  If it is old enough you might have perfomance issues depending on the quality of the cable running from the street to the house.  I had to get mine completly upgraded.

House was built in 2011 so all cables should be good. A few IT guys I know have been raving about the google wifi so I may go that route. But I am still on the fence.

My 4k tv will be in my basement, I would rather have the modem centrally located so if I did that, the google system would make more sense. I could then plug an Ethernet cable into the tv from one of the nodes downstairs. I wouldn't be able to do that with a standalone router upstairs next to the modem.