Add Product

Search Results:

ClickMe

Gateway laptop won't turn on - Battery or AC adapter?

I have a Gateway NV52 that I purchased at Best Buy last October. Recently I've been recieving messages that my battery needed replacing, and so I had it ordered through Best Buy/Geek squad. Today, though, the computer will not turn on, even when plugged into the AC adapter.

I'm hoping this is just a battery problem. Could it be just that the battery needs to be replaced, and that I will just have to wait for that to arive? Or might it be a problem with the AC adapter or some other issue? It has not suffered any damage or been dropped or roughly handled at all so it shouldn't be anything physical(a while ago I noticed the hinge was a little loose, but I do not recall anything happening to the comptuer that would have caused it. I'm hoping that the loose hinge isn't causing it not to start).

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Please use plain text.
RedWyv3
Topics: 292
Kudos: 178
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 80

Re: Gateway laptop won't turn on - Battery or AC adapter?

October.. you're under 1 year. Ergo, stop trying to fix it yourself, bring it into Geeksquad.. before you mess up, go past warrenty or end up voiding the warrenty by trying to fix something yourself.

s.gifI am a Bestbuy employee who volunteers on these boards on my own time. I am not paid for posting here, and you should understand that my opinions are exactly that - opinions. I do not represent Bestbuy in any way.
: Open Mailbox
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
NoNoBadDog

Have you tried booting it with the battery removed and attached to the power adapter?
If you find my post useful or informative, please click the icon below with the plus sign and star to give kudos. Thank you!
Please use plain text.
v6kgang

NoNoBadDog wrote:
Have you tried booting it with the battery removed and attached to the power adapter?

That should tell you whether its a battery problem or not..

you also could do a power drain and try...

Please use plain text.
ClickMe

I haven't done anythign to try and fix it myself. But if it turns out not to be a battery problem and I take it out and attach it to the adapter, would that mean it's a problem with the adapter?

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
NoNoBadDog

If you find my post useful or informative, please click the icon below with the plus sign and star to give kudos. Thank you!
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
NoNoBadDog

Sorry for the blank response. If it does not boot with the battery, or with the power supply.charger, then it *could* be a bad power supply. It could also mean that your motherboard is dead. Only way to be sure is to check the output from the charger with a multimeter.
Please use plain text.