Add Product

Search Results:

Fast computer speed

Is 150Kpbs to 5Mpbs fast?
Kudos: 95
Solutions: 90

Re: Fast computer speed

It sounds like we're talking about internet speed. If so, anything under 5Mbps is pretty slow. However, there is a pretty big range between 150Kbps and 5Mbps. If you're looking to stream video content from Netflix/Hulu/Youtube, you'll want 5Mbps+. If you're just looking to read some news articles and read your email, less than 5Mbps is fine.
-
I am an ex-Geek Squad employee, but all comments and opinions are my own.
Topics: 158
Kudos: 177
Blog Posts: 0
Ideas: 54
Solutions: 32

It really depends on what you are doing online. Something like watching a movie you would want 5mbps (and if you want like 4kHD) more like 10-15mbps.

If you are just general browsing anything below 5mbps is more than enough.

I'd always be wary of these services for ISP providers such as Comcast, etc who try to show you a really large internet speed.

1) You really only get the advertised speed "when you need it actually and if that sites server allows such a speed for downloading which is rare in itself"
2) You seriously don't need anything over 25mbps is just overkill. Even somebody like me who streams, does heavy gaming, voip, etc I can do about everything I need with 25mbps or less.

I may not always know the right answer, but I will always tell you what I do know. I also do free computer analysis and consultation via private message.

We can only get satalite internet, is this going to have any affect of the speed or capability of what we can do?
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

If you went to this site and did a test... what do you get?

http://rimouski.speedtest.telus.com/

Love my fiber with 150Mbps down/up.  Benefits I found....

• web pages are more responsive when browsing
  • videos are HD and 4K running smooth without buffering issues
  • IP survellience cameras don't slow down the connection... I can run multiple cameras now!
  • Slingbox is more reliable.
Topics: 158
Kudos: 177
Ideas: 54
Solutions: 32

Bur36 wrote:
We can only get satalite internet, is this going to have any affect of the speed or capability of what we can do?

Internet speed is internet speed satelite versus cable doesn't mean a lot really the main difference is if you are below about 7.5-10mbps download speed on satelite sometimes skype /other video chats may be a tad laggy. 

I may not always know the right answer, but I will always tell you what I do know. I also do free computer analysis and consultation via private message.
Highlighted
Topics: 906
Kudos: 527
Solutions: 202

5 megs on Sattlelite is considered cutting edge since most providers like HughesNet and other services can't reach more than 6, and even if so, you risk being cutoff for the month if such service imposes usage limits. Skype and video streaming services are very high demand. bandwidth activities.

If you can cut out those activities and can get 4GLTE in your area, a hotspot would be a much better choice for fast browsing , email checking and so forth.

***Please keep in mind that I am not employed by Best Buy and are just a regular forums Super User and an everyday shopper like you. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you to speed up the answer queue for other customers***