Add Product

Search Results:

Accepted Solution

Expansion Drive VS. Backup Drive: Is There A Difference?

I have several backup drives nearing capacity so I was looking into getting a newer/larger one when I saw some products labeled "expansion" drives. Is there a difference and if so, under what conditions is one advisable over the other?

Kudos: 92
Solutions: 90

Re: Expansion Drive VS. Backup Drive: Is There A Difference?

The only real difference would be between internal and external drives. Internal hard drives would go inside of your computer and have no USB connection. External hard drives will come in an enclosure with a USB/SATA/Firewire/etc connection.

Expansion/external/backup drives are just different terms for the same thing. As long as it's a box that has a power/usb connector on it, it's what you're looking for.

-
All comments and opinions are my own.

The hard drive does come enclosed with the USB/SATA and Firewire connection. The Expansion external backup drives are just not the same in terms of the power us connector. Thanks!
Topics: 932
Kudos: 548
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 212

Seagate I've noticed uses this term quite often and then you have Microsoft labeling an external drive as an expansion. I think back in the day when Toshiba introduced the idea, it confused everyone. It just has to do with extending the capability of your storage capacity without opening up the hardware.

It's more suitable for backup because rarely anyone uses a second internal drive, unless you're a hard core gamer or a dual booter and want to have two drives, one for games and the other for the OS.

***Please keep in mind that I am not employed by Best Buy and are just a regular forums Super User and an everyday shopper like you. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you to speed up the answer queue for other customers***
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I wonder if Backup drives come with additional software to go after the operating system files.... Kinda like drive imaging software....

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?st=backup+drive&_dyncharset=UTF-8&id=pcat17071&type=page...