Add Product

Search Results:

ktheus

Do refurbished laptops come with standard programs?

I purchased a refurbished HP Pavillion laptop, and assumed it would come with the standard programs; Microsoft Office, etc. It seems to only have the demo versions on it. Do I have to purchase the actual program? Or is there somewhere online to get a product key?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
TheLexMachine

Re: Do refurbished laptops come with standard programs?

ktheus wrote:

I purchased a refurbished HP Pavillion laptop, and assumed it would come with the standard programs; Microsoft Office, etc. It seems to only have the demo versions on it. Do I have to purchase the actual program? Or is there somewhere online to get a product key?

Thanks.

You can go directly to Microsoft's website to purchase Office if you want it and you get it as a digital download.

Please use plain text.
Findaway

The only thing that is STANDARD in programming on any computer is MicroSoft Windows Operating System.

Everything else is TRIAL or Limited Time, meaning you have to pay for it.

Generally there is MicroSoft OFFICE basic to use on Trial / Demo mode and have to purchase to get a KEY/Serial to Activate it.

When you get a computer you're paying for the Hardware and sometimes the Brand Name. The Operating System such as Window Home Premium in todays PC's is installed because most machines and manufactured with 4GB or more of Memory whch you need 64 bit.  The Old 32 bit (x86) is nearly a past time thought when we used 2GB of memory or less.

If MicroSoft had there way you'd only be getting the lowly Home Basic version and Win7 Home Premium isn't to far off as the maximum amount of Memory Win7 Home Premium allows is 8GB, Win7 Professional is 16GB and Win7 Ultimate allows over 16GB of memory in your computer.

PC Manufacturers add in alot of BLOATWARE (trash programs and games) generally Advertisement and get you to buy their stuff.

Any refurbished laptop/desktop should be in same condition (even though been repair) as new ones out of the box, with exception that certain parts are 3rd party and the Chassis / case may have some scratches/ dings.  That is why a Refurbished cost about $20 to $100 less than a brand new one in it's original box.

Personally, I don't buy Refurbished as I consider them USED.

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
xl

Another option is open software like LibreOffice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LibreOffice

Please use plain text.
RealGeorgeW
Topics: 622
Kudos: 544
Solutions: 314

Findaway wrote:

The only thing that is STANDARD in programming on any computer is MicroSoft Windows Operating System.

Generally there is MicroSoft OFFICE basic to use on Trial / Demo mode and have to purchase to get a KEY/Serial to Activate it.

When you get a computer you're paying for the Hardware and sometimes the Brand Name. The Operating System such as Window Home Premium in todays PC's is installed because most machines and manufactured with 4GB or more of Memory whch you need 64 bit.  The Old 32 bit (x86) is nearly a past time thought when we used 2GB of memory or less.

If MicroSoft had there way you'd only be getting the lowly Home Basic version and Win7 Home Premium isn't to far off as the maximum amount of Memory Win7 Home Premium allows is 8GB, Win7 Professional is 16GB and Win7 Ultimate allows over 16GB of memory in your computer.

PC Manufacturers add in alot of BLOATWARE (trash programs and games) generally Advertisement and get you to buy their stuff.

Any refurbished laptop/desktop should be in same condition (even though been repair) as new ones out of the box, with exception that certain parts are 3rd party and the Chassis / case may have some scratches/ dings.  That is why a Refurbished cost about $20 to $100 less than a brand new one in it's original box.

Just a slight correction.

Windows 7 Ultimate

4 GB

192 GB

Windows 7 Enterprise

4 GB

192 GB

Windows 7 Professional

4 GB

192 GB

Windows 7 Home Premium

4 GB

16 GB

Windows 7 Home Basic

4 GB

8 GB

If you like my post, or solution to your issue/question, go ahead and click on the little star by my name and/or accept the post as the Solution. It makes me happy.

I'm NOT an employee of Best Buy, or Geek Squad, though I did work as an Agent for a year 5 years ago. None of my posts are to be taken as the official stance that Best Buy will take on your situation. My advice is just that, advice.
Unfortunately, that's the bad luck of any electronic, there's going to be bad Apples... wait that's a horrible pun.
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
CrimsonRain

Findaway wrote:

Mmm not everything. There is usually a a full version of a program such as PowerDVD to view DVDs or Roxio to handle the creation of DVD/CD media..

Findaway wrote:

I believe the current version is called Microsoft Office 2010 Starter, which includes an ad-supported version of Word and Excel.

Findaway wrote:

I think you're a bit on the side of a conspiracy theorist... Microsoft couldn't care less if they included a 32 or 64-bit version of Windows. They just want their operating system to saturate the marketplace. Most consumer-level programs today don't even utilize half the potential of 64-bit computing or even quad core processing. How many Windows users out there do you think have Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate? Now, how many of them do you think really use the full features that come with those versions? I have Windows 7 Ultimate and I have never changed the language nor utilized the bit encryption. Remember back in the days of Windows XP when everyone and their moms pirated the Pro version? I'm 99% sure they thought it was "better" because it said "Professional." :smileylol:

Oh, and those trialware that's included in the computers, those are the companies subsidizing the cost of the computer so it's cheaper. Software companies pay computer manufacturers to include their software in those computers for exposure and in return they pay a fee per unit, which hopefully the manufacturer passes on the savings to the consumers.

Findaway wrote:

Well of course a refurbished computer is used. How else would the manufacturer know that it needed repair if someone didn't use it? In a way, refurbished computers are more reliable than new computers because they have had parts replaced and tested. New computers don't exactly go through a rigorous testing process. They are just mass produced and have a 1-year warranty on them. Third party parts? Well, pretty much most parts are 3rd party in the way that the manufactuerer doesn't make most of the parts. I've never heard of a Sony or HP hard drive before or a Dell or Asus keyboard. Computer manufacturers generally repair/replace their computers with "new or refurbished parts." 

Refurbished computers are generally less expensive than new ones because by the time a defect has been identified and repaired, the model is out of cycle or the warranty is expired. I find it comical when people relate refurbished as bad. I guess Americans don't like refurbished computers but they are okay with used cars? I will say that the one factor I do consider when buying refurbished stuff is the warranty. Ninety days isn't going to cut it for me. It makes me feel like the seller didn't trust their own repair.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I DO NOT work for Best Buy. Whatever I post are just educated guesses or common sense.
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
TheLexMachine

I buy refurbs all the time. Great way to save money if they are price appropriately and you can upgrade the snot out of them without having to deal with the manufacturer warranty crap. You can get a high-end refurb when it's no longer the best, put a bit of money into it to max it out, and you get a solid machine.

Please use plain text.
Findaway

CrimsonRain is a very off the wall person.  Takes other people's comments and rewrites them.

Seems that RealGeorgeW likes to make re-adjustments too , in this case re-correct what I mentioned each Windows 7

Version allows in Maximum Memory. Okay. Thanks for Correcting it.. but you've could of done it without Extracting what I written.

RealGeorgeW, is Best Buy blogging your daily job or do you happened to have lots of Free time on your hands????

Please leave your comments and don't rewrite everyone else's..  Just let the person make their own decision from all the choice comments/ suggestions that are posted.

Not everything you say is 100 percent or Perfect. So Don't try to correct everything or everyone.

You Guys, Have a Great Day !  Have Fun!  And stop trying to Bust Everyone Chops. It's Disrespectful.

Please use plain text.
RealGeorgeW
Topics: 622
Kudos: 544
Solutions: 314

No, but when most of your post is incorrect, it's necessary to correct it.

If you like my post, or solution to your issue/question, go ahead and click on the little star by my name and/or accept the post as the Solution. It makes me happy.

I'm NOT an employee of Best Buy, or Geek Squad, though I did work as an Agent for a year 5 years ago. None of my posts are to be taken as the official stance that Best Buy will take on your situation. My advice is just that, advice.
Unfortunately, that's the bad luck of any electronic, there's going to be bad Apples... wait that's a horrible pun.
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
TheLexMachine

If Microsoft really had their way, everyone in the consumer market would be using Windows Ultimate upgrades. Windows Basic only exists for low-end hardware primarily sold in third-world and developing nation markets where Linux is often a popular alternative.

Please use plain text.