Add Product

Search Results:

Computer vs

Is a hp stream like a chrome book, or is it like a regular pc laptop ?
Trusted Contributor

Re: Computer vs

Very astute question.  Hardware wise the two are very similar. 

Celeron Processors

eMMc flash memory for storage

both can run a long time on the battery.

However, the major difference is the Chrombook runs Google Chrome OS. 

the Stream runs Windows 10 Home. 

Google Chrome was designed for the 100% Google person. Meaing your going to be using Chrome to browse, your going to be using Google Docs, your going to 100% syncy with your Android phone or tablet. They are very easy on power and can be the ultimate business persons netbook. However, you are much more restricted on software. Basically anything in the Google Play store. 

The Stream runs Windows, which means you can load windows programs on it. But it is not really robust enought to run MS Office at at a high level

However, both machines are amazing in doing what they were designed for.

They were designed for people to use social media, email, web browsing, low res video watching, taking notes. On either machine you would probalby want to use Google Docs and Chrome for your browser.  And they were designed to be low on battery consumption.

Be aware. Both machines are very low on available storage. Only 32 GB on average. So your not going to be loading a lot of applications on them (hence why Google Docs is so awesom).

Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query. I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own.

Ok, thank you. What I have been looking between is the hp stream and a Dell Inspiron 14 3000 non-touch. What I want is to be able to download anything I need. I will mostly use it for browsing, videos, and documents. Do you have a preference or can maybe help me decide?
Trusted Contributor

At the office where I work I have had nothing but Dell computers for 16 years and at home I have had 2 Dell Laptops and they have worked very well for me without complaint. 

I think you can comfortably buy any Dell Laptop that you want and know it will work well for you.  If your more oriented towards YouTube Video  type of video you should have no problem.

Otherwise if you want to watch NetFlix or Amazon video in HD then you would want to go for a lower end Gaming laptop

Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query. I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own.

Alright, thank you very much!
Topics: 911
Kudos: 510
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 203

I had the HP Stream 11.6 laptop and it was great for its time, Then last year, the eMMC flash chip embedded on the motherboard went out and that was the end of that. Had it recycled but it was good laptop at the time I had it pretty speedy if your expectations were set right,

***Please keep in mind that I am not employed by Best Buy and are just a regular forums Super User and an everyday shopper like you. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you to speed up the answer queue for other customers***