Add Product

Search Results:

Computer keeps shutting down by itself during windows installation

Awhile back i had problems with my PC when every time my pc booted it would show a blue screen saying "Recovery, your PC needs to be repaired" and so i figured out it was a problem with my windows so i downloaded an ISO and burned it to a disk and cleared my hard drive and attempted to reinstall windows. At the time this was also a problem, my PC would shut down after being on for around 5-10 mins during the booting cycle or when i was in the windows repair system. So i bought a brand new PSU which is now 700B (old one being 500B) and i still have the same problem, PC will shut down during the windows installation. i have around 5 fans and just a single monitor set up so the PSU shouldn't be overloaded, im genuinely stuck...
Topics: 157
Kudos: 172
Blog Posts: 0
Ideas: 54
Solutions: 31

Re: Computer keeps shutting down by itself during windows installation

Jist some thoughts

-How hot is your hardware running?
-Maybe you need more thernal paste
-What PSU are you using?
-Do you have a cooling system?
-Make sure heatsink is connected good to cpu
-Clean your PC of dust

Generally speaking if your PC is randomly shutting down it is overheating, bad cooling system, cpu/heatsink related, or a PSU issue but as you said you replaced the PSU I am leaning away from that. (Even though do make sure your wires aren't baring down on something it shouldn't)

If none of this helps we can start the crazy list as I like to call it Smiley Happy

Also, if worse comes to shove you could take it to Bestbuy for a fee.

I may not always know the right answer, but I will always tell you what I do know. I also do free computer analysis and consultation via private message.
Topics: 889
Kudos: 467
Solutions: 192

Did you have a power surge or something? There is a thermal event happening in your computer. Usually in system events, it will show something in the BIOS menu under critical events, etc. If that feature is available or switched on that is.

At this point, the PSU would not be the problem but could be a short in the mainboard. You may find it cheaper to just replace the system.

***Please keep in mind that I am not employed by Best Buy and are just a regular forums Super User and an everyday shopper like you. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you to speed up the answer queue for other customers***

I think i might just pay the fee and take it into bestbuy because i'm almost positive that it is not the brand new PSU i just purchased and i have a solid cooling system not only for the whole PC but for the processor as well. Ill check in the BIOS menu for anything but other than that idk what else it could possibly be...

Here is a link to the Geek Squad Computer area which has a phone number, and what they cover. Generally hardware is done in store.

I may not always know the right answer, but I will always tell you what I do know. I also do free computer analysis and consultation via private message.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/geek-squad/computer-tablet-services/pcmcat138100050019.c?id=pcmcat138100...

Highlighted
Recognized Member

Did you test the hard drive or ram? A problem with ether one if those may cause a shutdown. Generally when a pc shut's off due to over heating it will let you know when it turns back on with a msg like "previous shut down due to a thermal event"