Add Product

Search Results:

Trusted Contributor

Re: Computer and Monitor help? Trying to choose the right one. (Gaming + Some other stuff)

Apple to Oranges I would go with a monitor with a better refresh rate. 

Perhaps a monitor to compromise between the two you have selected would be this on

VG248QE

However, one thing I think should be pointed out is the wide border on these monitors. IF you think you may wish to go with dual monitors down the road you would want to start with a monitor with a very small border. 

My twin Dell monitors each have an edge of 8mm.  I have been using them for 3 or 4 years now and I dont notice the seam anymore. But the Asus monitors it looks to be about 15 mm or more.  The other option would be to buy a single larger monitor.

MSI Monitor  This monitor (or one just like it) is on display at the Microsoft Store in the Mall of America (thats probably not helpful unless you live in the area) and it is georgous. 

Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query. I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own.

Re: Computer and Monitor help? Trying to choose the right one. (Gaming + Some other stuff)

Alright, given the 30 dollar difference between the two, which isn't much at all, which would you recommend then?

The $289 or the one you just showed me? Looking at them, besides the border around the screen and a bit of difference on the brightness or color (though I'm not sure how much that really is) I don't really see a difference between them.

So final few questions and I think I'm good. Do you know how to set up wi-fi on desktops, if there is anything special I'll need  to do for this one?

For headphones, I know you recommended some before but my computer was having trouble letting me use the link. Did that one have a good mic, if any? All I really want is good sound, great mic, and for them to be comfy. No type of specific brand, look, etc. Whether wired or usb, I don't have a preference, as long as it will work with this computer.

And I think thats it, unless I'm forgetting something, which is possible. If theres anything else you have to suggest or think I need to know, I'm happy to hear it. Thank you once again for all this help and I'm sorry I keep asking so many questions. I just like to be really sure on everything.

Trusted Contributor

The mic is medocre at best but on a personal note I don't play a lot of shooters that make use of it. I was playing Battlefield 1 a few months ago and I could barley hear people but they could hear me..

Good gaming headphones can be found in Turtle Beach and some others. I got my daughter some Turtle Beach wireless for her Xbox and they are amazing.  They also carry a good line from Corsair and Steel Series

STRONGLY recommmend hooking your new computer up via Ethernet cable direct to your router or modem if you can.

The connection speeds are many factors higher.  

Setting up Wi-Fi on a desktop should work just the same  as on your laptop. In fact if you have wi-fi on it will probably prompt you to connect to it when you first turn on your computer.

This computer comes with the next generartion of wi-fi.  AC.  If your router is older it should still connect but just not be able to make full use of the connectoin speed.  But really only a serious factor when downloading large games, or playing multiplayer online.

Down the road I would suggest considering something like a NetGear Nighhawk.  I just replaced my old Cisco with one last fall and the result has been like trying to drive with your parking brake on and then taking it off.

In the whats included in that computer is a Gaming mouse and keyboard.  I expect them to be decent. However, if you feel the need to replace them down the road I really like my Corsair Gaming Mouse.  I believe this keyboard lights up.

Thats pretty cool. I like to game in the dark and the light up keyboard allows you to see your keys.

Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query. I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own.
Trusted Contributor

I should mention. I wear glasses and one of the reasons I use these headphones is when I use a larger over the ear headphone eventually the pressure against my head from the earpiece pushing into my frames can get quite painful. 

Also,

Make sure your a My Best Buy Rewards member. You get reward points on each purchase.

IF you have the money to pay for your new computer outright. I would suggest applying for a Best Buy credit card. Not Visa but just the in store card. You can get serious bonus points when making a purchase on the card. On this particular purchase your going to get 5% rewards right off the bat or you can get 12 months no interest financing. 

For me I make every single Best Buy purchase on my BB card. I rack up the points quite fast.  When you combine it with Gamers Club and all the discount it can add up to quite a bit.

I'm aware the ethernet is a lot faster and I would love to use it, but my brother claimed it considering his computer apparently doesn't run at all without it. I'm not sure how much of that is true, but I'm not going to be able to use it without a fight. Hopefully it won't make that much of a difference, at least since I'm used to not having the ethernet.

Thank you for your help with everything. I'll look into those headphone brands specifically and am certainly in need of a good mic. I love being able to play multiplayer games and talk with other people.

I'll have to make sure I get the card as well as all those discounts together. Thank for you mentioning that c:

Last point, I asked the difference between the monitor I picked out (the more expensive one) and the one you linked since they seem very similar and are only 30 dollars difference. Thirty dollars doesn't make much of a difference to me, so should I just go with the more expensive one then with the thinner screen edges?

Trusted Contributor

The one I pointed to is curved. 

[ Edited ]

Ah, I'm sorry. I'm back again with another question. I started wondering if I should pay some more for g-sync and wasn't really liking my options (for the price) here and found a monitor on another site. My question was if it would connect to this computer I picked out, since I think you mentioned it could use Dvi and Hdmi but not display port? Unless I'm thinking of a monitor.

This one I think only has display port? I'm a little confused on it so I just want to know if it will work with this computer and just confirmation its a good monitor.

I'm so sorry for bothering you (assuming you see this) again.

{removed per forum guidelines}

Thats the link to the monitor.

[ Edited ]

Ah, for reference, I was also considering these two. Are they better?

I'm sorry for asking so many questions. I am very indecisive sometimes.. I just don't want to end up picking wrong.

Topics: 158
Kudos: 177
Blog Posts: 0
Ideas: 54
Solutions: 32

Apologies for delay in responding. The motherboard thought link was from personal experience more than anything.

To use an example, most people will tell Asus motherboards//ASRock motherboards are superior to a lot of other brands which is normally true. It's all in the items used and and all of that type of thing. How much heat can a board take before it becomes too much, different brands have different pin connections etc for the back so you may get one that has 9 USB and one that has 5 USB. Everything adds up and it just depends on your needs. Normally a lower end motherboard as well will not be able to support higher end memory so if you ever going to upgrade your memory (RAM) you will be limited in that department.

You have to consider many factors especially when buying an intel/nividia card. First off, almost always your machine will be hotter than an AMD. I can OC on my AMD and it wont' even start to get hot. I've seen Nividia OCing in Intel systems and it gets in the 70-80's degrees. (sometimes higher if fans are bad, poorly designed fanning system, etc)

The case normally has a lot of consideration as well, but in your case the case is large enough and well vented.

One last piece of advice, I would highly advise checking the power supply after you buy the machine. You wouldn't have to swap it out yet, but do start saving up for a better power supply preferably something modular. The last two iBUYPOWER/CyberpowerPC that I purchased both had off brand PSU's in them. One of them still works, but the other I had to replace. ( I swapped it with a Seasonic)

I may not always know the right answer, but I will always tell you what I do know. I also do free computer analysis and consultation via private message.

Its perfectly alright c: I just appreciate you taking the time to respond when you could.

Thank you for clearing a couple of things up and I'll keep them all in mind, especially the power supply.