Add Product

Search Results:

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Computer and Monitor help? Trying to choose the right one. (Gaming + Some other stuff)

Hello. I'm currently looking to buy a new desktop mainly for gaming but also for browsing youtube/twitch, using photoshop/other adobe products, and general internet searches/uses. I play a lot of videogames. For example, some of the games I play are League of Legends (quite a lot), Minecraft, Elder Scrolls, Metal Gear, and Rust. I'm also interested in playing a lot of newer titles and other games, though my current computer can't run any of those.

I already have a desktop computer I have more or less picked out, though I would like to hear any advice regarding it. Is it insane overkill? Is it somehow not enough? I'm aware it is probably overkilling it a bit for what I want to play, but I rather buy to much than to little. I've had a ton of issues with lag, stuttering, terrible graphics and want no part of that again. To put into perspective, my current computer can't run Rust on the bare minimum settings without insane stuttering and maybe a couple frames per second (though this computer doesn't have a dedicated graphics card which is probably the reason).

This is the computer I am considering purchasing:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-desktop-intel-core-i7-7700k-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-...

If it truely is overkill, any other recommended computers? My logic was also that the better computer I buy now, the longer it will last me if it is a bit much. I plan to go into video game design (coding) and other web design so having a good computer for the future is a must.I do have two minor questions for this computer though. Is there anything special I need to do for the SSD in order to have games run through that? Also, it says something about a college student discount. Is there anything special I need to do to get that?

I also plan to use that computer via Wi-fi. I know ethernet is better, but it won't be possible for me to use. Is there anything special I need to do to hook that up? It says it is Wi-fi compatable I believe?

Now comes the part I'm mainly looking for answered. I'm looking for a monitor for this computer. There is a $449 monitor it tries to recommend, but that seems a bit overkill as well as out of what I'd like to pay for a monitor. I'm mainly considering the two choices below and would like to know which is better for the computer I listed above and why, but if there is another monitor around the same price range feel free to recommend it to me. Also, will these two monitors even work/be compatible with this computer? I only plan to buy one, to be clear, I'm not looking for a dual monitor set up.

Monitor #1: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-vg245h-24-led-hd-freesync-monitor-black/5591926.p?skuId=5591926

Monitor #2: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-mg248q-24-3d-led-fhd-monitor-black/5707937.p?skuId=5707937#tabbed-c...

I apologize for the length of this post and appreciate any help I can get! To leave it off, if anyone has any good headset's from best buy to recommend for gaming (good sound/good mic/will work with this pc/monitor) I would love to see them. Price range, I'd like to be less than 100 dollars for a headset. Also, if anyone happens to know how good the mouse and keyboard that come with the computer is that would be nice, as well as general advice/set up help when the time comes to hook up the monitor to the computer. This would be my first ever desktop.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Computer and Monitor help? Trying to choose the right one. (Gaming + Some other stuff)

I love buying new gaming computers.  I went from using a machine that only had Intel Chipset for graphics and trying to play Guild Wars 2 to a full on gaming machine with a good (at the time) graphcs set up.

The machine you picked out is right on the money for what I would recommend.  Perhaps the 2 TB HDD is a tad overkill.  

This machine will come with the OS loaded on the SSD and will boot up super fast. The only stat I didn't see was HDD speed. I went from 5400 rpm to 7200 rpm and the difference is noticable. Running games on a 7200 RPM drive results in no lag time.

Some here will argue at you that the GTX 1060 is to slow of a GPU.  Not by a long shot. It is a near top end card and you should be able to upgrade that down the road. 

Regarding the monitors. IF you have space I would go with 2 of the 24" monitors. Or if you cannot afford it get one now and another later.  My reasoning is you can offset the monitors at an angle and get a wrap around effect. 

I don't know about the 3D monitor or if it is just a hype on the word 3D. Would you need an actually made for 3D or you can use it to watch movies.  Personally as a glasses wearer I would not get a 3D monitor as it would be to irritation to wear the glasses a lot over my glasses. 

One of my local stores has a gaming setup on dispaly with dual monitors and it rocks your world.

The only thing I would look into is the speed of the HDD.  

Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query. I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own.

Re: Computer and Monitor help? Trying to choose the right one. (Gaming + Some other stuff)

Ah, thats a nice coincidence. Thats currently what I am doing as well. My current laptop has an intergrated intel graphics card.

I'm glad that I managed to pick out a nice computer then. I agree the harddrive is overkill, but everything else worked out perfectly and extra storage isn't bad really.

Is there another model with the HDD speed (and everything else the same besides slightly less storage)? Or for my needs will this model's speed work out fine? I tried to do a lot of research on computers before finding this model, but I'm not so farmiliar with rpm (or at least don't reconize the term off the top of my head). Do you think its necesary or just something to look to upgrade down the road, perhaps when I buy a second monitor?

Dual monitors would be something I'd love in the future, but as of now I wouldn't be able to do that with my budget.

As for the monitors, of the two I picked, which would you recommend getting? Besides the 100 dollar price difference, I'm not quite sure which would be better for the computer I picked out as well as just better in general. Or, is there another monitor around that same price range that would be better? I'm less farmilar with monitors by a long shot compared to computers.

Also, the 3D monitors you mentioned. Was that a side note/information, or was one/both of the monitors I picked 3D and I had not noticed? I don't think I'd particularly need one, just curious if I happened to pick one without knowing (though I believe I didn't because surely it would cost more?).

Silly question, but the monitors I picked out should work with the computer without any problems correct? It would be my luck that they are somehow not compatable. Are you farmilar with how to hook up the monitors to the computer? Its probably a simple process, but I've never owned a desktop before so I wouldn't know. Same with the computer I picked out and connecting it to wi-fi.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and I hope to hear from you again soon in regards to my other questions.

Trusted Contributor

The more expensive monitor you pickedo out was 3D ready. Thats why it is more expensive. 

Pretty much any high end monitor like the one you are looking for should work wtih that computer. 

It should work with either HDMI or DVI. I would recommend DVI.  

You may also want to look into a speaker system or some good head phones.  

I use us a head set.  Now a lot of people are also going to say you need this or that ultra expensive headset.

I use these

Plantronics 

Only $20 and the have very good sound. 

For desktop speakers I have an old set from JBL that also have  10 watt subwoofer. Really makes the First Person Shooter booms come out.

But I think you have picked out a good start. 

The two year protection plan on this machine is $200 and I think I would do that as well. Gaming machines run fast and hot and can break down. You hope they don't but they can.  However, the nice thing about a tower like this is you can replace components yourself. Laptops are harder to repair.

Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query. I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own.
Trusted Contributor

Regarding the coincidence.  I was playing Guild Wars 2. I had to set all the settings to the lowest level and in certain community areas I would go down 1 to 5 frames a second.  Thats when I decided to buckle it up and get a gaming computer.

The first thing I did was load Guild Wars 2, as I still had a lot playing to do on it.  I sat there with my mouth hanging open and for about the first 3 or 4 weeks I was constantly giddy.

When you get your new machine if you will be blown away.

I have only owned Dell Monitors in the last 16 years but I really like the Asus ones as well.

Personally I play on an MSI computer and it is a brand I will continue to buy. I have not owned a CyberPowerPC but I have seen them in the store and the people I know who own them really like them.

Trusted Contributor

Sorry I keep going on and on.

I would also strongly recommend the Gamer Club Unlocked.

Costs $30 for 2 years and you get 20% off on each game purchase.  So on a $59 game you can get it for $47.99 so after 3 purchases you have paid off the card. 

Sometimes buying and activating the card is a little quirky. So I would think about getting it and getting it ironed out before or about the time you get your new machine.

Ah, alright. Trust me, I don't mind at all. I'm happy for the help and really appreciate it Smiley Happy

Which of the two monitors would you personally recommend? It sounds like the 3D isn't really something I'd care about, so should I go with the less expensive monitor? I don't believe that one has a DVI, or at least I didn't see anything saying it didm just HDMI. I apologize if its something all monitors have, I'm not well versed in this at all but I'm trying to learn.

The less espensive one was 60Hz and the more expensive 144Hz. I read that the more the better, but would 60Hz work just fine for what I need? And would my graphics card even be able to let me fully use the 144Hz if I went with that monitor anyways?

I plan on buying a nice headset, and I'd be interested in the one you recommended, but I assume that it does not come with a microphone? I assume that anyways because of the cheap price. I really would like to make sure I get a really nice mic (that comes attached to a headset) considering the one I have now is trash and I feel bad for killing my friend's ears when we play together.

That protection plan sounds really nice and I'll probably end up getting it, I just wish it wasn't so expensive. Its well worth it considering it would be so much worse if it did break, but its a lot of money if it does not.

I'm not sure if you'd know this, since I'm guessing most people use ethernet, but does the computer I plan on getting connect to all forms of wi-fi, or only certain router types? And if its only certain types, is there like an adapter I could buy in case it doesn't connect to ours? I'd love to use ethernet, but it most likely won't be happening since its already in use.

The gamer club sounds like a really great deal. I'll have to try and sign up for that alongside buying my computer. Thank you for mentioning it. I remember seeing it mentioned somewhere but I didn't know the details and decided to pass on it.

I can't wait until I sort all this out and buy/get the computer. I'm certain I'll be suprised by just how much better it will be, I can't wait to see just how much.

Topics: 156
Kudos: 168
Blog Posts: 0
Ideas: 54
Solutions: 31

I agree with what has already been said about the monitors. Where I do somewhat disagree though is the gaming computer. For the price of the machine you are considering you are putting a lot of money into something that could be even better with some minor tweaks.

The extra money saved by not buying such a high end GPU included with the computer could in fact help you get a better GPU by itself.

Your idea to get a good CPU from the start is sound and that part I do suggest. Even though it could be argued that the 3770K is somewhat old by today standards but it should still do ( I use an 8350 AMD still lol)

I will be honest with you they are probably using a lower end motherboard with this computer considering what is in it so that has to be considered as well.

To use an example you could buy something like this that will have top end parts more than likely.

Model: 750-524
SKU: 5759909

Then just buy the GPU by itself and save yourself about $100 or so.

Model: 11G-P4-6390-KR
SKU: 5793700

You will spend about $400 more initially but because you spent $1500 on two products instead of 1 and then another later. You just saved yourself $200.

Note: That may or may not be the ideal PC for you was just an example. I personally find HP does a great job of supplying you normally with quality hardware with fair - end level for the overall value that's why I linked this one specifically.

The last CyberPower I purchased the motherboard was fairly low end, and it didn't quite stack up to what I thought it was going to. This isn't to say all CyberPower's are like that though as it was still a very nice computer that my neighbor is still using to this day.

I may not always know the right answer, but I will always tell you what I do know. I also do free computer analysis and consultation via private message.
Topics: 156
Kudos: 168
Blog Posts: 0
Ideas: 54
Solutions: 31

Oh I forgot to mention, the GPU installation isn't hard at all. There are several youtube videos that show you how but all it is is inserting the card into the correct slot on the motherboard. The motherboard with the HP computer is new enough to be compatible I am fairly certain sure.

Alternatively, the Geek Squad can assist you for a small fee which would still be savings. Please keep in mind some companies will void warranties if the machine is opened HP being one of them so perhaps Geek Squad is more ideal so as to not void the warranty.

I may not always know the right answer, but I will always tell you what I do know. I also do free computer analysis and consultation via private message.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to this thread. I really appreciate it.

I'm glad to hear that the monitors I picked out are good, though if you don't mind my asking, which do you think is better to go with. I mentioned in one of my later posts how one is 60Hz and the other 144Hz and I was unsure whether my graphics card would be able to fully utalize the 144Hz, or if the 60hz would limit it. Overall, is there a monitor i should go for or can you help me see the differences besides the 3D ready, if any, on the monitors. One also mentioned some sort of syncing feature (the 60Hz one) but I'm not sure what that does or if it will be useful.

What you say does sound nice and I reconize that it will save me money in the long run, I'm just not sure that I'm comfortable with buying something thats not completely ready for use. I've had a lot of computer problems in the past with my current laptop and don't really want to mess with a new computer much.

Do you think the motherboard would be a big issue if it wasn't quite as good as it should be? If it was a notable problem, would that be very hard or expensive to replace? Or do you think for my needs, especially considering how huge an upgrade this already is for me, that it won't make that much of a differene?

(I'm upgrading from an i5 laptop with intergrated graphics card, less than 2Ghz. Huge upgrade, and very much needed).