Add Product

Search Results:

Bios Chip Location

I have searched the web. I have contacted HP. I have contacted Intel. All to no avail for the following problem. HP suggested the Best Buy Geek Squad. I am looking for the bios chip location for the 684854-001 (Larrybird-B) motherboard that is installed in an HP Envy 20-d013w AIO Touchsmart pc. Seems this information is non existant.  I am trying to locate a mb layout or a discription of the location of this chip. Thanks for any help. 

James

Kudos: 95
Solutions: 90

Re: Bios Chip Location

Do you have a high-resolution photo of the motherboard?  I can't find a schematic for that exact board since it seems to be a generic made for HP. 
Without the schematic, I'd need to be able to read the descriptors next to each chip to see it's function.  

-
I am an ex-Geek Squad employee, but all comments and opinions are my own.

bops2.jpg

bios1.jpg

Photo09111335.jpg

Photo09111337.jpg

Photo09111342.jpg

Here are photos and the locations with jumper discriptions

The images did not upload

Sorry. I had to upload the photos to the web first. Here are the photos. I either need to replace the bios chip (I have the correct one but there are no indicators on the mb) or reflash it. So far every method to flash has failed. It boots to an hp logo and will not go to ant diagnostic or function screen. It will not boot to a bootable usb drive even when a forced recognition key(s) are engaged. The present bios version states that it cannot be flashed with an older version after upgraded to the presnt version. The only option I see is to replace the bios chip. I have the replacement just cannot locate the chip or determine the the correct orientation since there are no dots on the mb chips. only the white identifiers with the numbers as shown. PW clear and CMOS clear jumpers are there. There are also 2 additiona bios write/recover jumpers with no pin connectors attached.

What if you take the 3.16 white sticker off the chip? There should be some information etched/printed on to them that you would be able to help align the replacement chip correctly. However, this would have to be resoldered...
-

After some more difficult research I am thinking the 8.01 chip is the bios. My reasoning is the 3.16 chip has a 3 pin jumper next to it and the MB has an SPI input select chip  for programming bios. I will try to remove the 8.06 sticker, compare it to the chip I have,  and try to post the pic tomorrow (Wednesday at the latest I hope) when I get back home. Once posted we can go from there if thats okay.

The replacement chip has an orientation blue dot. Hopefully a similar mark will be under the sticker(s). 

I was able to find HP BIOS version 3.16, but nothing for 8.01. However, without the actual schematic and layout, I would just be guessing.
-

The yellow dot chip had the 8.01 sticker and the inscription JFCH5PI1

The purple (or blue) dot chip had the 3.16 stcker and carries the inscription JECSPIL

The chip with the 8.01 sticker has the three position jumper next to it.and has the lan card just in front.

heres another photo with the layout that may help you further. the legend is on the photo.