Add Product

Search Results:

Battery Drain on Brand New Laptop

I have a just purchased Dell Inspiron 15 5000 series. Model #I5565-5851 with a battery issue. 

It was gift, Purchased in very early July online and sent to a local Best Buy.  Due to slow and unreliable internet at home, we asked Geeksquad to download and Install the software like Microsoft 365.  After that it was picked up and mailed to me. 

I have noticed that from day 1 the battery gets very little time   Even after the first charging that the battery will drain in less than two hours. Sometimes less. I tried an experiment where I turned off all network connections, blue tooth and wifi.  I loaded a dvd to play and added ear buds.  I left the computer running after starting with a completely full battery. It made it barely 2.5 hours before it was dead. And that was on the  dimmest screen setting and no interruptions.

This laptop was listed as a good battery with at least 6-7 hours of use time. No matter what I do games, emails, videos, working in excel or word for work, even just checking bills online it drains very quickly.  It will say 37% with 23 MINUTES remaining.  

What do I need to check or correct? Could the battery not have been charged properly before the work was done in the store causing an issue? Or do I need to take it back to the Geeks for help? I have a cross country trip coming up in a few weeks and want to be able to use it on the plane.  It just wont last the trip. 

Topics: 932
Kudos: 551
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 213

Re: Battery Drain on Brand New Laptop

A 3 cell battery won't do much good for longer battery life. You can dim the screen and turn off background services to gain a performance edge on the battery, or switch to power saving mode if you wish to have a longer battery life.

But 3 hours seem par for the course, given those specs.

***Please keep in mind that I am not employed by Best Buy and are just a regular forums Super User and an everyday shopper like you. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you to speed up the answer queue for other customers***

I really WISH it could get anywhere close to three hours.  Usually in much less than two its done.  The reviews gave this a decent battery review.  I wasn't expecting miracles but 1.5-2 hrs seems wrong.  I am wondering if the battery has an issue and if there is a way to test it?

And barring that is there a new battery I can buy for this model that would work better?

There is an article here: https://www.windowscentral.com/generate-battery-report-windows-10

Seems easy to generate the report with a little know how. I did browse through the reviews like you did and some complained about battery life. Since there are so many good review outweighing the quantity of the bad ones, you can see if there is something Dell can help you with to test your battery. Extended batteries may be available, but you would have to check with Dell on that front.

Does your laptop look like it has a removal batteries? Not all manufacturers but some are going in the way of non removable batteries now.

***Please keep in mind that I am not employed by Best Buy and are just a regular forums Super User and an everyday shopper like you. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you to speed up the answer queue for other customers***

Thank you, I did run the battery report.  I will admit some of the info is beyond me, but it does appear that I am not getting near the capacity I should be.

Ok. The second thing is to check for BIOS updates to see if it addresses anything. Be aware that an incorrect BIOS update can brick your system. If you're under the return policy, try and get another unit.

If you're out of the return policy, Dell Tech Support is your best bet. 1