Add Product

Search Results:

Amplifier cutting out at higher volumes

I have a 2000 Oldsmobile Alero and I installed a Pioneer DEH-3200UB head unit which is connected to a Pioneer GM-5500T 820W amplifier which runs 2 12" Pioneer TS-W303R sub-woofers; all of which is connected by 6 gauge Scosche 1200W amplifier wiring kit.  I have had them installed in my car for about 10 months now.  For the first 8 or 9 months I had no issues with the system:  the bass hit hard at whatever level I had it at.  Last month I took my subs out and replaced the enclosure with a plexiglass enclosed one and now the amp/bass cuts out around volume level 30 (It goes up to 62), and it used to work at whatever volume I had it.  

I think I've given all details needed, but feel free to ask for any other specifications.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best Buy Employee

Re: Amplifier cutting out at higher volumes

That is a tough one to pinpoint without hands on testing.  

Is the power shutting off on the amp?  Is the protection light on the amp coming on?  Does the amp stay on without the protect light coming on, but the subs just stop?

Let's see:

The TS-W303R is rated at 250W RMS each and is 4ohm SVC

The GM-5500T is rated to put out 125W RMS per channel @ 4ohm

If all the settings are exactly the same and the problem started as soon as you swapped the enclosure, I would first check the wiring to make sure everything is as it should be.

Is the amp bridged to those two subs or are you running each sub on its own channel?  If it is bridged to the subs, then depending on how it is wired it might be running at 2ohms which would be too low for the amp and possibly has damaged it.  If each sub is on its own channel, then it is possible that the amp is trying to put out more than it can and is struggling or that the subs need more than it can give.  It is possible that the subs being designed for higher power than that amp is capable of could have caused distortion which may have damaged the voice coils on the subs themselves.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
While I am employed by Best Buy, all of my posts here are in a non-official capacity. Any information or recommendations that are given are done so in an attempt to help in any way that I can and are not an official part of my job. If you feel that I have helped, feel free to give me Kudos or mark my post as a solution...I like to know how well I am doing.

I was watching the amp light when my friend turned the volume up & right around 30 the bass stopped & the blue "speaker output" light turned off, but then right away it would come back on; but there was still no bass. You can tell that the bass was trying to work & occasionally I would hear it come thru randomly & then it'd cut back out & the light would flash off.
I have the subs bridged off the amp.
The only thing that changed when I swapped enclosure was that the old one had two connection ports: so each sub had its own port that it was hooked up to and then I took 2 pieces of speaker wire & twistes them together, but made 4 connection points & then attached it, bridged, to the amp. But for the new box it only has one connection port so I took a separate wire for each sub & connected it to the back of the port (so 2 positive & 2 negative wires going into the port from the subs) & then I had one wire come out of the port and ran that to the amp, bridged.

I think that might be my problem; but I'm not sure.

Thank you
Topics: 63
Kudos: 69
Solutions: 33

It sounds like your running at 2 ohms not 4 ohms.  You need to see if your amp can handle 2 ohms and I am guessing it can not.

Give Kudos if you like this post or Accept as Solution if it answers your query!
Best Buy Employee

That amp is definitely not 2ohm stable when bridged.  It requires 4ohm minimum when bridging, so if you are paralleling the subs and then bridging it then the amp could very well be damaged at this point.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
While I am employed by Best Buy, all of my posts here are in a non-official capacity. Any information or recommendations that are given are done so in an attempt to help in any way that I can and are not an official part of my job. If you feel that I have helped, feel free to give me Kudos or mark my post as a solution...I like to know how well I am doing.

I have been out of Car Audio for many many years but aren't amps today made with built in protection for over powering or high current draw?  I was also into mid end car audio like Orion, JL, so they did. 

Give Kudos if you like this post or Accept as Solution if it answers your query!
Best Buy Employee

They are usually fused for excessive curent draw (there should be a fuse at the battery to protect the wire and most amps have fuses on the chassis to protect the amp itself) but I don't know every situation that causes the protection circuit to engage.  The most common reason that I see the protection circuit on is either a shorted output on the amp or a shorted voice coil on the sub.  The easiest test to see which one it is is to disconnect the sub from the terminals on the amp and if the protection circuit still engages then it is likely that the output on the amp itself is shorted.  I do know that it is possible to run an amp at a lower ohm load than it is rated for but it will severely shorten the life of the amp (usually due to heat) and will cause failure sooner than normal.  The reason for the minimum rating is that the manufacturer tested the output and failure was found much more frequently at lower than the minimum that is stated in the specifications.  In this case, the minimum spec for bridging the amp is 4 ohms and anything lower than that would likely cause early failure.  

I had in my cars and still in one of them that has a system, the circuit breaker up front right after the battery and the fuse  block in the back.   But if the amp is cutting off hopefully it did not do any damage.

I have a 2000 Oldsmobile Alero and I installed a Pioneer DEH-3200UB head unit which is connected to a Pioneer GM-5500T 820W amplifier which runs 2 12" Pioneer TS-W303R sub-woofers; all of which is connected by 6 gauge Scosche 1200W amplifier wiring kit.  I have had them installed in my car for about 10 months now.  For the first 8 or 9 months

Hi I having the same problem I had the same pinenoer amp or I think but anyway I pumping two Rockford 12" in a vented box oh I had two channels on amp so I ran each sub separate it Hut really hard at any volume but I got a new CT amp and it only has one speaker output on amp so I bridged the speaker wires together and hooked to amp every since I did this my amp cuts out at the same volume as you said From what other post it has to be something with the bridging of the speaker wires tomorrow I gonna try running a speprate amp for each sub IDk if anyone has any help it be very appreciated cause I try n work really hard to get my system knocking I could care less if I drove a posh as long as I got a excellent sound system