Add Product

Search Results:

goufball

best camcorder for basketball games and making DVD

I am looking for the best camcorder for a junior college basketball program.  We have a very basic PC windows 7 and need to be able to film a game and then easily and quickly make it a DVD to send off to other coaches and Division 1 schools recruiting my players.  When I possed this question to the best buy employee they told me to buy the Canon VIXIA HF R21.  This camera does not fit my needs at all.  The quality is not any better than my old camera that filmed on mini disc and I had to rip to make a larger DVD.  It takes over an hour to make a DVD and the program to make the DVD is horrible.  I do not even have that many options to make the menu appealing.  Ontop of that I can have to convert all the files to be able to use the video in any other program.  It is time consuming and a headache.  What is my best option for a camera that I film the game and then take out the memory card or plug the camera the camera into my computer and make a DVD relatively easily.  I have pinnacle for a PC and Final cut pro on my MAC.  I would like to be able to use the camera on either computer.  Do any cameras save the movies in an easy format like MPG?  Thanks for your help!!!

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
xl

Re: best camcorder for basketball games and making DVD

To clarify, you want the "entire game" on a DVD for distribution?

You mention menus... Does this mean you want to spend time editing and authoring the disk? This will increase distribution delays.

Finally when do you expect the content to be watched. Within 1hr? 2hrs? 24hrs? You mentioned "sending", are you using an overnight courier? Is the video being reviewed a week later?

BTW... Be careful of "high-speed" DVD burns... The disks do not last.

In addition to the camera, I think we need to take a different approach to how you use your camera.
Please use plain text.
goufball

I would love any advice.  With the Video Browser software it usually includes two clips on the menu.  The first clip of the game and then a random clip from the game.  Each game has about 150 clip since we stop and start on every dead ball.  I have taken the time to upload the video to my mac into imovie or final cut pro where I can edit the video and add better menus.  Is there any way I can take the videos that I have in the video browser library and save them on an external drive?  I clearly do not have a lot of experience with video formating.  I am used to being able to pull out the SD card and open the video in any program I choose.  I can not do that with this camera and I am assuming there is a difference in the formating of the video?  Is there any way to combine all the files for one game into one large file or do I have to do that through an outside program this pinnicle or movie maker? 

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
xl

You haven't quite answered my questions about when the content needs to be viewable.

Also what camcorder model do you have?
Please use plain text.
goufball

We need to be able to view the video the day after the game. We have the Cannon vixia r21.  Basically..... After the game I would like to be able to put all the clips together and save it as one video that I can put on a DVD and save on an external drive. 

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
xl

What model is your miniDVD camera?

So you have time overnight before the footage needs to be viewable.
Please use plain text.
goufball

Sony Handycam

I no longer use this camera because I had to rip the video from the mini disk to make a DVD and edit the video.

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
xl

Hmm.....

• the R21 is an entry level camera.  My major complaint is the battery.  A bottom loading battery means you can't get an extended battery for this camera.
  • what recording mode are you using?  Some modes will burn faster than others.  Go experiment with MXP, FXP , XP+ , SP  and LP.
  • the R21 allows you to save the an SD card.  Is this what you are doing?  What class is your cards?  High classes will mean faster transfer to your computer
  • While the R21 is HD, DVD's will yield the same quality as your MiniDVD.  You need to burn to Blu-Ray to see the full benefits of your camcorder
  • Yes, I use Pinnacle to make my DVD/Blu-Rays.  Love the speed.
  • You need to consider hardware acceleration like Matrox's MXO2 or Canopus solutions if you want faster rendering
  • Remember, do not burn above 4x to a DVD.  The disc will have a much shorter shelf life
  • If people aren't viewing this the video until next day, have you considered releasing the stuff on YouTube with unlisted links?  This is far faster than an overnight courier, it's in HD, it's cheaper, and will have a longer shelf life than a DVD.  You can still send them a DVD afterwards.  Once on YouTube, coaches can apply annotations to clarify problem areas when other people view the video.  I do some sports analysis videos for clients and this is what we do.
Please use plain text.