Add Product

Search Results:

What camera would be good for concerts?

I currently have a fujifilm finepix z20 that I have had for about 8 years. It doesn't do a great job of taking pictures, especially in dark settings. Does anyone have any suggestions of cameras that take pictures in low light, can zoom far, and takes faily decent videos. My background on cameras isn't that great, so I'm not sure what to look for and any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Trusted Contributor

Re: What camera would be good for concerts?

If you have a newer smartphone I would just use that.   the Galaxy S4 and newer and the iPhone 4 and newer all take pretty good photo and video.

about cameras that will take good photo and video wiht long range zoom esepcialy in the low light of a concert setting kind of opens the doors for a long dialog about cameras. So I will just make a breif statement

A cameras aperature (i.e. f/stop) is the size of the opening to take a picture.  Wider allows more light.  However the wider the opening the shorter the depth of field

So you would want to look for a camera that will have the potential for a wider aperature.  f/22 is the very small end and f/2.8 is on the larger size.  smaller number wider opening.  Most of your small point and shoot cameras are somewhere in this range.

Regarding the zoom.  The more you zoom the smaller the aperture opening has to be.  And the more you zoom the smaller that opening will be.  hence less light which results in a longer exposure time which will result in a fuzzier picture.

The way around that is really to get a DSLR with changeable lenses.  But now your talking a lot more money and a more complex set up.

All that aside I would try your phone.  We pretty much quit carrying our point and shoot camera about 4 years ago becuase our phones are good.

But distance from the target is your enemy

Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query. I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own.
Trusted Contributor

However there is an in between the two.  In this type of camera I am a big fan of Sony and Canon cameras.  For DSLR I tend towards Nikon.

There are a line of camers that used to have a specific name on the BB web site but I cannot remember what it was.  they are not listed as Premium Point and Shoot.

Sony Cyber-shot RX100 II is an excellent choice.  It actually has a range of f/1.8 to f/11 aperature  

• Model: DSCRX100M2/B
  • SKU: 1420007

And Canon - PowerShot G7 X

• Model: 9546B001
  • SKU: 8595002

It think both of these would do better than most phones

One little trick.  Both of the cameras sport 20 megapixel resolution.  Which is really much more than is necessary.  However, it will allow you to take a longer range photo at maximum size and quality settings.  You take your long range photo NOT zoomed in to far under low light.  Then you can crop it on your computer and still have a high quality image. 

Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query. I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own.
Kudos: 95
Solutions: 90

bobberuchi wrote:

If you have a newer smartphone I would just use that.   the Galaxy S4 and newer and the iPhone 4 and newer all take pretty good photo and video.

about cameras that will take good photo and video wiht long range zoom esepcialy in the low light of a concert setting kind of opens the doors for a long dialog about cameras. So I will just make a breif statement

A cameras aperature (i.e. f/stop) is the size of the opening to take a picture.  Wider allows more light.  However the wider the opening the shorter the depth of field

So you would want to look for a camera that will have the potential for a wider aperature.  f/22 is the very small end and f/2.8 is on the larger size.  smaller number wider opening.  Most of your small point and shoot cameras are somewhere in this range.

Regarding the zoom.  The more you zoom the smaller the aperture opening has to be.  And the more you zoom the smaller that opening will be.  hence less light which results in a longer exposure time which will result in a fuzzier picture.

The way around that is really to get a DSLR with changeable lenses.  But now your talking a lot more money and a more complex set up.

All that aside I would try your phone.  We pretty much quit carrying our point and shoot camera about 4 years ago becuase our phones are good.

I know this is a necro post, but this is the kind of question that drives me crazy sometimes.  You know in your head that you're going to have to explain aperture, f-stop, shutter speed, focal length, etc just to get the point across that taking a photo with sub-optimal light can be difficult, even with good equipment. 

-
I am an ex-Geek Squad employee, but all comments and opinions are my own.
Valued Contributor

deusexmachina wrote:

bobberuchi wrote:

I know this is a necro post, but this is the kind of question that drives me crazy sometimes.  You know in your head that you're going to have to explain aperture, f-stop, shutter speed, focal length, etc just to get the point across that taking a photo with sub-optimal light can be difficult, even with good equipment. 

And to necro post your necro post deusexmachina,

Another issue with concert photography is, depending on the venue, promotor and/or artist(s), they may NOT allow "professional cameras" in the event. Now what they refer to "professional cameras" as, are any camera with a removable lens.

Hate doing concert photography. Between the stage lighting and the audience bringing P&S and phone cameras flashes going off all the time, it can be a pita. Not to mention the idiots holding their ipads up to record the show.

Valued Contributor

I have been involved with low-light photos on an official capacity.... love Nikon's full frame equipment where I can rachet up the ISO to insane levels with my f/2.8 lenses. The newer Nikons can even do a better job!