Add Product

Search Results:

jesser24

'Corrupt' files on SD card

I have a brand new Nikon S205 and a brand new Lexar Platinum II SDHC card. A couple of pictures that I have taken seem to be corrupted. They look sort of mixed up when loaded to my PC and won't display on the camera. Any advice?

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
TheLexMachine

Re: 'Corrupt' files on SD card

The camera is either writing corrupt pictures or the card is faulty. You need another SDHC card to test the camera and that will tell you what is wrong here. I reccommend you get a Sandisk SDHC card as they are widely recognized as the most reliable. You can get a 4gb card for $15 bucks.

Please use plain text.
ivandaboss

There is repair software out there that can recover memory cards, welcome to the world of digital. It gets really fun when you have 800 shots or so and the memory card poops out on you, happen more than you may think. You may want to check firmware update too.
Please use plain text.
deusexmachina
Kudos: 66
Solutions: 83

I had a corrupt CF card after a shooting a wedding and was able to recover most of the files using http://www.piriform.com/recuva .... Free software and has a decent sucess rate. 

Since then, I've been using a lot of small CF cards to minimize corruption instead of 1x 16gb card corrupting and ruining the whole wedding.

-
Although I do work for the Geek Squad, all comments and opinions are my own.
Please use plain text.
ivandaboss

No contest to that, using smaller size memory cards are the way to go. As a pro you do not want to have to explain the customer that their memories are lost.
Please use plain text.
Deviation

Larger cards (much like larger disks) are more prone to corruption.  Rather than relying on the camera's format feature, use your PC to do a full format of the card.  Also, try using the "Eject" feature in Windows before removing your SD cards.  This stops any writes or reads that may be going on and helps prevent corruption.
I recently had a 16GB PNY Pro card come up with a couple corrupt images.  It can happen to any brand.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Entropy

Actually, nearly all photographers/camera manufacturers recommend formatting the card in the device it is intended to be used in (the camera), not another device (like a PC).

Larger memory cards are not in general more prone to corruption, unlike larger disks.  However, newer card designs are more prone to quality control issues (see, for example, the first sets of Class 10 SDHCs that hit the market.), but these new designs can occur across all capacities within a generation of cards.  Using a smaller card is still a good idea just for minimizing what happens when a card dies.

Problems can happen to any brand, but some brands are more prone to problems than others.  Which is why I no longer purchase PNY products - Nearly everything I have bought from them was either DOA (a video card) or died within months (two SD cards, which are the only SD cards I have ever had fail).

------------------
*disclaimer* I am not now, nor have I ever been, an employee of Best Buy, Geek Squad, nor of any of their affiliate, parent, or subsidiary companies.
Please use plain text.
Deviation

Entropy wrote:

Actually, nearly all photographers/camera manufacturers recommend formatting the card in the device it is intended to be used in (the camera), not another device (like a PC).

Let me restate my response.  It should be formated in the PC prior to the camera.  The camera is basically doing a "quick" format removing visible files/folders (basically deleting from the MFT).  The camera also works its own magic writing folder structures, sensor files, etc. needed for operation.  Performing a full format on the PC actually checks for bad blocks and zeros out the card.

So I'm not saying that you shouldn't use the camera's function.  Just stating that for a new card, you should do a full format prior.

Please use plain text.