Add Product

Search Results:

pinklevi

Best Point and Shoot with the least shutter lag and high quality photos?

I purchased a Sony Nex-3 DSLR Camera.  I just recently sold it because a lot of my pictures were blurry.  There is no Image Stabalization AT ALL! 

I decided that I would rather have a smaller compact camera, but still have great quality photos and very little shutter lag?   Shutter lag is a big deal when you have a toddler and don't have 5 seconds for them to hold a pose until your camera takes the picture!

What is the best point and shoot camera?  I have heard Canon Powershot SX230HS or Nikon 8100?

Thank you so much for your help!

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Entropy

Re: Best Point and Shoot with the least shutter lag and high quality photos?

pinklevi wrote:

I purchased a Sony Nex-3 DSLR Camera.  I just recently sold it because a lot of my pictures were blurry.  There is no Image Stabalization AT ALL! 

I decided that I would rather have a smaller compact camera, but still have great quality photos and very little shutter lag?   Shutter lag is a big deal when you have a toddler and don't have 5 seconds for them to hold a pose until your camera takes the picture!

What is the best point and shoot camera?  I have heard Canon Powershot SX230HS or Nikon 8100?

True shutter lag of all P&S cameras is very low these days.

Usually autofocus time and flash recycle time are mistaken for shutter lag.  Unfortunately:

1)  Contrast detect autofocus (the method used by all P&S cameras) is fundamentally slow.  The only way around this is a camera that supports manual focusing - pre-focus on your subject and autofocus lag goes away.  (I had great results with a P&S at Sea World thanks to putting the camera in manual focus mode).

2)  If you are using the flash frequently, purchase a point-and-shoot that supports external flash, such as the Canon G series P&S cameras.  (Current one is the G12 I think.)

------------------
*disclaimer* I am not now, nor have I ever been, an employee of Best Buy, Geek Squad, nor of any of their affiliate, parent, or subsidiary companies.
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
TheLexMachine

Re: Best Point and Shoot with the least shutter lag and high quality photos?

pinklevi wrote:

The majority of point and shoot cameras simply won't meet your needs. You need to get something with the same technology used in a DSLR, so you're going to have to look at the high-end advanced cameras. I would reccommend the new Fujifilm HS20 because it has all the right features and it takes AA batteries so you can get fresh ones just about anywhere.

Please use plain text.