Add Product

Search Results:

Best Buy Contributes to the Martin Luther King, Jr. National Memorial and Kids for King

by Retired: Community Analyst ‎08-19-2011 06:45 PM - edited ‎08-26-2011 01:15 PM

Update 8/26/2011 1:14 PM CST: Due to Hurricane Irene, dedication events have been postponed. We will communicate updates when possible.

This blog post was authored by Community Connector, Coral-BBY.

Best Buy, through the Best Buy Children’s Foundation, is supporting the Martin Luther King Jr. National Memorial with a $1 million donation.  This money will support the historic construction and dedication of the Memorial and “Kids for King,” an educational outreach initiative designed to inspire youth to further Dr. King’s vision and mission.  The MLK Memorial, located on the National Mall in Washington D.C., is designed to commemorate the life and work of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr and will expose visitors to his life and legacy.  The Memorial will be dedicated on August 28, 2011 in a West Potomac Park ceremony on the 48th anniversary of the March on Washington and Dr. King's historic "I Have a Dream" speech.

“It’s truly an honor for Best Buy to help commemorate the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.,” said Brian J. Dunn, CEO of Best Buy. “We are particularly excited by the Kids for King programming which gives today’s youth, and future generations, access to Dr. King’s powerful story and inspires them to live by his example of service, peace and equality.”

In conjunction with the donation and Memorial dedication, Best Buy is excited to share the Connected World at the Partners in the Dream Expo! Best Buy BlueShirts and Geek Squad Agents will be on-site to help visitors stay connected and capture/share their memories of this occasion.  In addition, there will be a Best Buy Charging Station, a Best Buy Express Shopping Kiosk, and exhibits from local artists and community groups.

Event: MLK Memorial Dedication Expo: Partners in the Dream

Location: Walter E. Washington Convention Center, Exhibit Hall A

Public Show Hours:

08/25/11 2pm-8pm

08/26/11 9am-7pm

08/27/11 9am-5pm

08/28/11 2:30pm-6pm with official dedication starting at 11am on the National Mall

Update 8/26/2011 1:14 PM CST: Due to Hurricane Irene, dedication events have been postponed. We will communicate updates when possible.

For more information about the Washington D.C. Martin Luther King Jr. National Memorial Project Foundation, please visit www.buildthedream.org.

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. had a dream and Best Buy wants to hear yours – we invite you to comment below to share your dream with all of us.

Comments
by Community Manager Community Manager on ‎08-19-2011 10:00 PM

I dedicate my time to support two of Best Buy's Employee Business Networks.  I do this to help enable Dr. King's vision of a better society. 

I dream of a future where equality and acceptance enable humanity to reach unimagined heights that lead to new discoveries.

About the Author
  • I love techno-geekie toys. These days it seems that technology is a part of every moment of your life. From the alarm clock that wakes you up in the morning to the microwave that heats up your dinner, we are encased in a life full of electronic products. They make modern life possible. When I am not playing with or reading about the latest and greatest tech toys, I work at Best Buy. The company is a fun place to work and I experience its commitment to its values and philosophies. I do my best to live them everyday. I take great pride in working for a company that values innovation, ingenuity and supports its employees in a manner that allows them to unleash their unique talents and abilities.