Add Product

Search Results:

Accepted Solution

Getting laptop keyboard and touchpad replaced

Hey there,

I was wondering if Geek Squad could do this for me. I do not need the laptop back right away... I do know an agent via Geek Squad chat did tell me they did these sorta repairs. I forgot to mention if it was under MY PLAN I have with Geek Squad, though. Otherwise I have read I can just buy and replace the parts myself. 

no, didn't buy at BBY. I was gifted this laptop and am unsure what is all wrong with it til I get it later tonight or tomorrow. I was only told the keyboard and touchpad being not functional. 

So, if I PM'd a rep my membership ID/number, could they check into if my plan covers these sorta things? 

Thank you.

Topics: 0
Kudos: 262
Solutions: 29

Re: Getting laptop keyboard and touchpad replaced

So your tech support plan would not cover replacing the keyboard and touch pad. Tech support plans are for software issues and in-store hard ware fixed (swapping RAM or a Hard Drive). Repairs like swapping out a keyboard and a touch pad would be at the service center and the costs for that would be all stand-alone costs.

The cost outline would generally be something like this:

Shipping $35 - this cost is non-refundable BUT could potentially be put towards the cost of the repair if you decide to have the service center do the repair.

The repair costs - when you ship out you automatically authorize a minimum repair amount, the Geek Squad can tell you what this amount is because I do not remember off of the top of my head - otherwise a repair can cost anywhere from $90 to $500 depending on the cost of the parts for your model. Best Buy goes with authenticated OEM parts and therefore they are not always the cheapest ones. Geek Squad will call you with the estimate of your repair and then you either choose to go with the repair or have your laptop sent back unrepaired.

That's how the non-manufacturer and non-Geek Squad Protection Plan services generally work.
---Please be advised that while I am an employee of Best Buy, I am here on my own time just like yourself. I am here simply to offer insight and information from a regular employee point of view. My comments are my own and not representative of Best Buy Co., Inc. I AM NOT A FORUM MODERATOR; therefore, I can not look in to order/account information. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you in order to speed up the answer queue for other customers.---
Highlighted

Re: Getting laptop keyboard and touchpad replaced

geishafish wrote:
So your tech support plan would not cover replacing the keyboard and touch pad. Tech support plans are for software issues and in-store hard ware fixed (swapping RAM or a Hard Drive). Repairs like swapping out a keyboard and a touch pad would be at the service center and the costs for that would be all stand-alone costs.

The cost outline would generally be something like this:

Shipping $35 - this cost is non-refundable BUT could potentially be put towards the cost of the repair if you decide to have the service center do the repair.

The repair costs - when you ship out you automatically authorize a minimum repair amount, the Geek Squad can tell you what this amount is because I do not remember off of the top of my head - otherwise a repair can cost anywhere from $90 to $500 depending on the cost of the parts for your model. Best Buy goes with authenticated OEM parts and therefore they are not always the cheapest ones. Geek Squad will call you with the estimate of your repair and then you either choose to go with the repair or have your laptop sent back unrepaired.

That's how the non-manufacturer and non-Geek Squad Protection Plan services generally work.

If it helps any, my plan only says "1YR Geek Squad 24/7 Support" and "Webroot SecureAnywhere IS for 3 PC's or Mac 1 Year" for future references. I understand now, thank you. I had a feeling this was the case. It seems like it maybe a bit too expnsive to repair the keyboard and touchpad via the service center though.  I am not sure how old this laptop is yet til I get it tonight.  I maybe better off just buying a brand new laptop at Best Buy it sounds. It's only gonna be for college and stuff anyway, so nothing fancy.