Search Results:

Topics: 158
Kudos: 172
Blog Posts: 0
Ideas: 54
Solutions: 31

Dementia Landline Phone?

I wasn't 100% sure where to post this first off

my great aunt is in later stages of Dementia and we have had issues of her just putting her phones on the base in other words not getting turned off. 

Are there any phones Bestbuy sells which may be suitable to help combat this? I am a reasonable person so budget isn't overly importantly versus doing the needed job. 

Note this is in reference to a landline phone. 

I may not always know the right answer, but I will always tell you what I do know. I also do free computer analysis and consultation via private message.
Topics: 13
Kudos: 207
Solutions: 98

Re: Dementia Landline Phone?

Hey AWBrown,

Are you looking for a landline phone with a function that will essentially automatically disconnect/hang up after an extended period of inactivity, or when the dial/busy tone rings?

Sam | Best Buy Store Phone Operator

I am a Best Buy Employee at one of our retail stores. While here to help, the opinions presented by me on this site do not represent the views or decisions of Best Buy and its affiliates. Authorized company representatives identified with -BBY after their names are able to address specific concerns or inquiries in greater detail.

Forum Guidelines | Price Match Guarantee | Return & Exchange Promise

Did I answer your question? Mark as SOLVED! | Do you like my post? Give KUDOS!

Preferably the first one

I may not always know the right answer, but I will always tell you what I do know. I also do free computer analysis and consultation via private message.

Hi again AWBrown,

I did some research and it doesn't look like we sell any phones that have a specific auto-disconnect feature that you're looking for.  However, I do have a few suggestions for you!

The first would be to simply purchase a corded landline phone rather than a cordless, as it may be easier to forget to hangup or even lose the wireless handset, and returning the wired phone to the cradle simply ends the call.  Unfortunately, as I mentioned before, there isn't a fail-safe option that would disconnect the line after being left off the hook for a long period of time.

But, after some quick browsing of the internet, I stumbled upon another solution that might work for you.  One user on an Alzheimer's support forum suggested purchasing an inexpensive cell phone and recording a custom ringtone with a voice that says something along the lines of "You left the phone off the hook" that would play everytime you call it.  Granted, this option would potentially force you to buy/refill minutes on the line, but it may be cheaper than purchasing an expensive phone system or adapter.

I hope this helped some!

I am a Best Buy Employee at one of our retail stores. While here to help, the opinions presented by me on this site do not represent the views or decisions of Best Buy and its affiliates. Authorized company representatives identified with -BBY after their names are able to address specific concerns or inquiries in greater detail.

Hi Sam15,

Thanks for the ringtone idea she does actually have a emergency cellphone (if she can ever remember to leave the volume up..lol....) so that's is a very good idea actually thanks.

I have given her more than one corded phone recently but with her having the dementia she just either forgets about them or just decides not to use them I guess.

I do appreciate you though in your capacity seeing if there were any relative features on phones out there!

Have a great day. Smiley Happy

Hey AWBrown,

Not a problem, I'm glad I could help even if just a little! Take care Smiley Happy