Add Product

Search Results:

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Appliance warranty and self install

Hi all,

we were looking at an over the range microwave tonight in our local BB store and the sales associate told us that if we choose to install the microwave ourselves, the manufacturer's warranty is voided.

Can someone tell me is that is a fact or a myth?

Thanks.

Topics: 329
Kudos: 150
Solutions: 606

Re: Appliance warranty and self install

I think what they meant was their are extensive clauses that say that if any part of your installation, if you choose to do it yourself, is incorrect or improper, they may deem that the cause of a malfunction. Also, if you damage it while installing it or its wiring in any way, it is not covered. Also, of course if it fell or something you wouldn't have any backing to have it replaced.

Crystal
Superuser
Forum Guidelines | Terms & Conditions | Community Guidelines | What is a Superuser?
*Remember to mark your questions solved and click the star to give kudos to show your thanks!*
While I used to be a Best Buy Employee, I no longer have any affiliation with Best Buy.
My opinions do not in any way shape or form represent Best Buy's Official decisions.

HMMMMM Man Surprised

She was quite insistant that we should not install ourselves and get BB to install it - which would add 80% to the price!!!

Topics: 329
Kudos: 150
Solutions: 606

It was probably just in the interest of convenience and not knowing if you are comfortable installing it and insuring it has a vent of some sort. This site has a decent do it yourself guide and you can see if you feel comfortable with the steps: http://www.diyadvice.com/diy/electrical/fans-heat/over-range-microwave/ If you don't, I would get it installed. Most likely they don't want to see customers come back because they couldn't get it installed, or installed it improperly and hurt something. You by no means have to have it installed if you feel comfortable with it.

Crystal
Superuser
Forum Guidelines | Terms & Conditions | Community Guidelines | What is a Superuser?
*Remember to mark your questions solved and click the star to give kudos to show your thanks!*
While I used to be a Best Buy Employee, I no longer have any affiliation with Best Buy.
My opinions do not in any way shape or form represent Best Buy's Official decisions.

We have installed an over-the-range microwave before and found it a fairly easy procedure - especially as the replacement unit match the broken unit

Thanks for the help