Add Product

Search Results:

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Old sim card in new phone instead of new one?

I recently bought a phone from Best Buy and had it shipped to me and it came with a brand new SIM card and I wasn't competely sure on what to do wit it.  I went to Best Buy and all they did was put my old SIM card in my new phone and said the new SIM card was just a waste, was he right?

Re: Old sim card in new phone instead of new one?

If your old sim card had music, videos, photos, etc on it that you wanted to keep, then I don't see anything wrong with just swapping it out like that. It's a lot easier and faster than having to transfer everything. Of course if the new sim card is bigger, I think I would rather use that one. I'd hardly call any sim card "just a waste" though.

Topics: 31
Kudos: 57
Solutions: 151

Hi captainjango,

The SIM card is basically what identifies your phone on the network. If you change phones all you have to do is take the SIM card out of your old phone and put it in your new one. Think of it like your phone number is registered to the SIM card, and you can move it around from phone to phone as you please. You usually only need a new SIM card if you are a new customer, or if the phone takes a different size of SIM card (for example, the iPhone 4 uses a "Micro SIM" which is smaller than normal SIM cards).

SIM cards do not contain data such as pictures, music, movies, ringtones, etc. Those would be stored on a memory card, such as a microSD card. However, some phones do store contacts on the SIM card.

Hope this helps.

Dan K. | Former Best Buy Employee
Any opinions expressed in this post are those of
the author and do not represent Best Buy Co., Inc.

Oops, looks like I got sim cards and micro cards mixed up.......it happens Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

captainjango wrote:

I recently bought a phone from Best Buy and had it shipped to me and it came with a brand new SIM card and I wasn't competely sure on what to do wit it.  I went to Best Buy and all they did was put my old SIM card in my new phone and said the new SIM card was just a waste, was he right?

Depends on just how old your SIM card is.  AT&T did obsolete the Cingular-era and pre-merger AT&T SIMs, but that was 3-4 years ago.  Is your carrier AT&T or T-Mo?

If AT&T and the "old" SIM is one of the "orange fireball" 3G ones, then it's fine as long as you don't have one of the new MicroSIM phones like the latest iPhone.

------------------
*disclaimer* I am not now, nor have I ever been, an employee of Best Buy, Geek Squad, nor of any of their affiliate, parent, or subsidiary companies.
Community Veteran

Actually, no. Only very, very old SIMs will not work in 3G phones. Most Cingular SIMs were 3G revision. It just has to say 3G somewhere on it. It doesn't necessarily have to have the logo.
Trusted Contributor

I think it was "blue SIMs" didn't work (not blue with orange fireball), and then there was another SIM "artwork style" that was fine.

However, if it's "orange fireball" it is almost guaranteed to work.

------------------
*disclaimer* I am not now, nor have I ever been, an employee of Best Buy, Geek Squad, nor of any of their affiliate, parent, or subsidiary companies.
Community Veteran

If you mean blue as in ATT Wireless, I doubt anyone still has one of those, as all blue customers are fully converted, but no, those wouldn't work.

Some SIMs just have 3G printed in normal text somewhere on them. Those will still work.
Trusted Contributor

Yup, those are the ones I meant.

------------------