Add Product

Search Results:

I need help buying a phone

I'm 99% sure I'll be buying the Honor 8, my question is what's the difference between a refurbished phone and a new? Is the 100$ gap between the prices worth it? Should I buy the refurbished and have money for accessories or buy new?
Trusted Contributor

Re: I need help buying a phone

Refurbished means it is not new.  The situations in which it may have become not new may vary. It may have been a return, or a situaion where it was replaced via the servcie plan and was then fixed for resale.

Refurbished phones are supposed to be up to factory standards as far as function. They may or may not have minor cosmetic indicators. 

Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query. I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own.

What would you recommend, as someone who does not have plenty of money sitting around is a refurbished phone okay, or are there risks to it?
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Tough call. I have never had a refurbished phone. 

But some people I know who have had them had said sometimes there were quirks.

Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query. I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own.

Refurbished items often became reburbished because they were not functioning properly, so were returned under warranty. At that point, they are supposed to be repaired to properly functioning condition. They may also be used item that were acquired via the trade in program. These items are often older and may require refurbishment due to components that aren't functioning correctly, such as a battery that is only holding 50% of its original capacity, for example.

I have never purchased a refurbished electronics item, but have had friends who did. Some of them did experience issues with them. But, here's my reasoning for avoiding a refurbished electronics item. This may be an item that experienced an early failure of a critical component. This failure may have led to weaknesses elsewhere that were not discovered in post-refurb testing, and could result in another early failure. This may also be an older item where a component failure is not as far off as one would hope, but as it passed testing, this weak component was not replaced.

While it sounds counter-intuitive, it might be most cost effective in the long run to spend the extra money on the new item with all new components and a full warranty. If a refurbished item fails fairly quickly or is quirky, it could end up costing you more than that extra 100 you spent for the new. I am not saying this will be the he case. I'm only saying that there can be a higher risk with refurbished than with new.

Laurie