Add Product

Search Results:

Re: Factory unlocked iPhone X?

@Alef_Meem

thank you so much for posting your activation tips for people on ATT who buy the unlocked phone from Best Buy. 

Here's my situation:

1) My iPhone X is ready for pickup tomorrow (Tuesday, Nov 7). YAY !!!  

I'm paying full price, not on a plan.

I'm on ATT but wanted the CDMA support since I might move to a location that much better Verizon vs ATT support.

Plus,  I learned the hard way (during a business trip to  Dubai) that my iPhone 6+ that I had ATT unlock wasn't really unlocked.   So I had to buy a new phone there on the spot in the Dubai airport.

2) I ordered a Verizon / Straight Talk SIM Activation Kit that I ordered from eBay.

(I found your page 1 reply on this thread Sunday and ordered it right away.) 

However, it does not arrive till Saturday-ish.

Here's what I see as the possibilities.    What do you think of Option B: 

Option A:   Wait for the Verizon / Straight Talk SIM I ordered to arrive.   (but I can't wait !) 

Option B:   After picking the iPhone X up from Best Buy, I'll go to a Verizon Store that's < 5 min away.

I"ll ask the Verizon sales person if I could borrow a SIM card to activate my new iPhone to Verizon since I might get Verizon if I move.

Option C:   Go to Walmart. Buy a $49 Straight Talk Wireless card.   (too much.  I'd consider this only if the minutes didn't expire.  But I only have 30 days to use the minutes.) 

Option D:  Activate with my ATT SIM.  Then go through the unlock 

Recognized Member

@MareLuce B is an excellent option if the store associate is willing to let you borrow a SIM. If that doesn’t work, I’d definitely go with Option A followed by Option D. Don’t bother with Walmart or Straight Talk Wireless.

You could get a simple Verizon SIM card on Amazon for $7 and it would arrive in two days if you have Amazon Prime. I am not sure why you ordered an Activation Kit, was that on eBay for $1.99? All you need is a Verizon SIM card (for an active or inactive account or a brand new never used card) and WiFi when starting the phone for the first time. Don’t waste $49. Option C is to find a friend on Verizon and stick his card in.

Would a factory reset affect the unlock of the device if we have already did the initial unlock? I just wanted to know since I wanted to transfer everything from an android device.

No effect.

Is there a way to know if it was unlocked unsuccessfully?

Thank you for all of your help.

If you hook it up to iTunes on a PC or Mac, and do a factory reset, it will update to the latest iOS and at the very end, it will say Congratulations, your iPhone is unlocked.

@Alef_MeemAlef, do you know or does anyone else know if this activation by Verizon SIM card over wifi will work internationally? 

I bought two of these unlocked iphone Xs and sold them to people internationally. It is saying locked, so I want to see if sending a Verizon SIM card will solve the problem. I did not know I should have unlocked them here first.

Since it is normally unlocked via wifi, I assume there will be no difference if they are connected via wifi in Japan or South Korea, or the US. Right?

Recognized Member

@mneal713 I am not sure if that will work (unlocking via Wi-Fi outside of the United States). All I know is what the policy states. I do not know the exact process in which the phone verifies it is within U.S. territory, just that it is one of the listed requirements in order to have the phone work internationally.

[ Edited ]

Hi. since you seem to know what your talking about , you may answer my question.  My brother bought a phone from his friend who he bought it from best buy.  I am currently in the Middle east and the phone says sim card fail or something like that. I put in my at&t sim card and it worked.  I called best buy and they told me that it is locked and intended for use only in the USA. Now i wont be returning to the USA and i wanted to know if this phone can be used in the middle east.  Is there anything in my power i can do to have this phone work with any other NON USA sim card? you can e-mail me on {removed per forum guidelines} if you like ,... shall i pay the $40 unlock activation code that are offered on some sites . or is this phone never going to work for me.  please help me out.  thanks